Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with old drill

Regarding your concerns about pouring molten pewter - drip some solder onto a piece of thin card (on a heat-resistant surface). See how big the blob needs to be to burn through.
    You could use some sheet copper to back up the card or tape to act as a heatsink too, but I think that might be overkill.

It'll be interesting to see if you get a response on the woodworking forum; as you say, it's quite an old thread.

I had a thought Peter. It’s not that i’m afraid of hot metal … i do stained glass and i weld steel so it’s not new, i’m just a bit anxious about trying to form and pour a ring 360* around a handle.

But … i bet i can get a scrap of wood, route a groove 1/8” deep x 1/8” wide and a little longer than the circumference. Pour the molten pewter into that, let it cool, pop it out and cold form it into a ring on the handle. If nothing else it would be fun to try.

Thought i would check back in. I know i don’t quite belong here, but you have given good advice and i wanted to give feedback. After looking at the other sites you referenced i have decided to go ahead and pour new rings.

I went to the local Goodwill store (do you know what that is?) and found a salt & pepper shaker set that’s about 5” high, stamped ‘pewter’ on the bottom. Apparently it was some kind of award, the salt shaker is engraved with CCVA 1971. $5 for the set. Looks like it has a wood inner shell and the pewter is a veneer, but between the two i should have plenty of raw material.

Might be a while, but i will post the results.

What i started with … a little deconstruction … 9-7/8 oz of pewter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EB934B49-28D6-4063-93BD-E14EB6DE6215.jpg   3BBB6584-BEB9-4180-935B-5C64823B2158.jpg   DB73A2EA-19B3-445A-97DA-1A596389B36C.jpg  

Is pewter the same as lead as in a terrible contaminant for silver and not worth having in your workshop if you work with silver? … N

Modern pewter is lead free and mostly tin Nick, but still nasty to have around precious metals. Dennis.

Cheers Dennis, Oh yes I would never be fastidious enough to have both in my workshop … N