Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel Question (sorry)

Default Dremel Question (sorry)

Hi,

Before writing this post I read lots of older posts about the Dremel and other micromotors and I've ended up more confused, unfortunately!

I am a beginner and I am not sure whether this is going to be a casual hobby or something more and I had every intention of buying a Dremel and I came on here to look for people's opinions/reviews and it seems that it's not very well liked at all.

Obviously not knowing where this is going to lead I'm not going to buy any of the expensive brands such as Foredom.

Is Dremel really that bad? Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

Default Dremel Question (sorry)

Well, I started with a Dremel and must admit soon discovered its limitations. I investigated the Foredom route but price was quite a shock! Against advice I bought via Amazon a “far East” Foredom copy at a quarter of the price, with a standard key operated hand piece. Yes it was rough….”it fitted where it hit” as the saying goes! So I took it apart and did a lot of refinishing. Not to be recommended lightly, but I was lucky! I bought a second, hand piece with a lever instead of a key and also a percussion hand piece. That was 5 yrs ago and fingers crossed all is still good even with fairly hard work. I know one day something is going to break and heaven knows if I will be able to obtain the spares…..I doubt it! It will then be a Dremel for me!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 26-03-2023 at 02:15 PM.

The Foredom runs at lower speeds, which is what you need for finishing and polishing work. That's why a Dremel is not good, as it runs much faster.

A Proxxon might be an alternative, as its certainly cheaper than a Foredom.
    Jules

If I were buying on a budget, I would go for a marathon micromotor. They are a delight to use, and occupy vary little space.
    Ideal for a beginner.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laboratory-...a-918014816306

On the down side, they only accept standard 2.3mm shank burrs, and you can't add a hammer handpiece.
    Worry about that later. Dennis.

Oh yes….speed control from slow, so important. Witness my number of burnt out burrs etc even with lube!

I will have a look at the Proxxon and Marathon.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

That all sounds a bit involved for me, when I take things apart I can't usually get them back together again. I'm going to take a look at the other options mentioned.
    Thanks.

Continuing on this topic…I have been looking at Foredom pendant drills. There seem to be many different “marks” of Foredom. Prices vary from around £90 up,to eye watering £400. ……different wattages etc, but which do those in the know recon is the most suitable for our type of work?

I like a micromotor as it’s flexible and not as heavy. Mine is a Foredom but it was a gift. I can’t afford the hammer action hand piece which would cost the same again but I don’t miss what I’ve never had and use my chasing tools instead. I bought a cheap dremel for the job and after the first go it went back in the box, the noise and vibration were shocking

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Continuing on this topic…I have been looking at Foredom pendant drills. There seem to be many different “marks” of Foredom. Prices vary from around £90 up,to eye watering £400. ……different wattages etc, but which do those in the know recon is the most suitable for our type of work?
    A £90 Foredom is not a Foredom. It's a copy.
    The standard jewellers' Foredom is the SR - available with all sorts of handpieces; the #30 is excellent if you need to use other than 3/32 shank tools and aren't in the habit of losing chuck keys, while a keyless chuck is quicker in use providing everything you use has the same shank size. There are other brands of flex shaft around too.

Personally, I use micromotors more than anything else - they have lower torque than the flex shaft but the lack of drag from the shaft and the loss of the inertia kick as the thing starts make them better suited to fine work IMO.