Thread: Pickle out of date?

Default Pickle out of date?

Hi,

I have a tub of the Vitex safe pickling powder which I opened in 2017 but have not used again since then and I was wondering if it goes out of date, or might not work so well now?

I am a complete beginner and I did a short silversmith course in 2017 but I could not pursue it due to a personal situation. I would now like to get back into it so I may be asking a few questions in the near future...

I am going to be using a slow cooker for pickling. Also, is this still the best powder to use or should I try something else?
    I'm trying to be as non-toxic and safe as possible with my work.

Thanks.

One way or another you will be getting rid of it. So don't waste it. Use it first. Welcome to the forum. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis.

And yes you are right, all I can do is try it.

Would you be able to recommend a good, budget-friendly set of files, please?

Dennis may have a different view. although in my opinion there are no budget friendly files, bite the bullet and by decent files to start with.

HI Viki, One tip I have for files is if you have a garden machinery store or outlet nearby it’s well worth checking out chainsaw files. Two shapes are needed to sharpen chains, a flat file and round files. They are a very hard file having to do the job of sharpening the teeth on a cutting chain. They’re cheap because you can get through a lot of them, wearing out cutting the hard steel of the tooth. The round ones come in a variety of sizes between 4 mm and 6 mm. Handy files to have in a tool kit that are very sharp and last well when used on non-ferrous materials … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 26-03-2023 at 07:42 PM.

I agree with Bob, you would not need a flat and half round but the best you can afford. You can get away with budget needle files though at a push