Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you recycle PMC?

Default Can you recycle PMC?

Hello All,

I've unearthed some dodgy PMC creations I must have made about ten years ago!
    Now if they were sterling pieces, I'd melt them down to reuse the metal, so I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to 'recycle' old or unwanted PMC pieces.

I mostly just work with sterling silver and wire now (I'm a chainmaille addict ), but I remember when PMC first arrived on the scene there seemed to be a bit of snobbery about it - like it was just a bit of a toy or novelty, and made jewellery creation too easy. These weren't opinions I shared but I did get put off using it by this kind of attitude. I can see that PMC has come a long way since it first came out, and some of the creations are just fantastic, but I wonder if any of you that use PMC think these attitudes are still out there?

Many thanks.
    Scooch

PMC is just fine silver once fired properly, so yes you can recycle it!
    Lucinda

Alllright! there's a saving!

So can you just add it to your sterling scrap or would you keep it separate?
    Linda

I'm not sure if you can mix metals in your scrap pot, I try to keep mine seperate but I did notice on my last return to Cooksons that they had paid me for some fine and some sterling, so I am assuming you can at least mix silver, but don't quite me on that! It is something I have wondered about though...
    Lucinda

well, if you put fine silver in with your sterling, it will reduce the purity of the fine and improve the purity of your sterling - so I imagine that the result will be of a non-specific purity?
    Di x

Well the credit note I got from cooksons where I managed to send them a mix had the weights of the quantity of the fine, with the scrap return price for that, and then the same for the sterling, so it seems they have a way of separating the two out.
    Lucinda

A while back I emailed one of their scrap people and asked about mixing different silver scrap metals and they said it was fine to mix it all together. I assumed they had a way of sorting it out themselves from that.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Hi
    We need silver in one scrap pot and gold/platinum in another, but within each of those pots you can mix different grades of alloys.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    Hi
    We need silver in one scrap pot and gold/platinum in another, but within each of those pots you can mix different grades of alloys.

Rob
    So, if it's not too complicated to ask, how d'u sort it out?
    J x
    (if it too complicated, don't worry )