Thread: Photo of cab

Default Photo of cab

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that Turquoise? . looks like it has been grooved for wire wrapping rather than bezel setting. for a stone that size I would be using 0.5mm fine silver for the bezel and either 0.8 or 1mm sterling for the base.

Well….this belongs to a friend of mine and shop keeper who is of Indian extract. This cab was on some sort of cord wrist band but the cord perished. It was sold to him in a Calcutta street market and he claims it is turquoise ! He wants it mounted on a sterling silver Torque.
    Much like this. I thought of using the groove to bend the bezel into, but it is a bit uneven and I am scared that in pushing the bezel into it I would risk cracking the stone. Hence the higher bezel to master the groove . I quite agree, is it a turquoise…..but he is quite knowledgable so I am not going to dispute it!

Something like this….

As John has mentioned, that stone is not intended for bezel setting. For aesthetics use thick material, and file it level with the top of the stone, before setting. The collet will be a little over 5mm tall at the centre, and lower at the ends.

As the stone is opaque, you can the apply some slow setting glue, such as epoxy, to the floor of the cup, and set only lightly to close any visible gaps. Try to avoid pressing near the groove, or you will get hideous dents.
    It does not matter which silver you use. Dennis

Thank you both for your thoughts and guidance. This guy likes what I make and sells a reasonable amount in his “high class” shop. He then commissions me to make items for himself. Hence I don’t want a disaster! Once finished I will be brave and show you what I have done……..
    David….(this hobby is beginning to be “the tail of the dog wagging the dog”!

Not sure where or if I should put this photo…. Not perfect but as my perfectionist father would have said…”a good effort”! Thank you both for your guidance which I think I basically followed.

A good effort. Second that. Dennis.