Thread: Sterling silver bead bracelet and hallmarking

Default Sterling silver bead bracelet and hallmarking

I am new to making jewellery but want to ensure that if I decide to sell any of my pieces that I am doing it right, so have a couple of questions that I could do with some help on please.

1) if I were to make a chunk sterling silver stretch bead bracelet (say 10mm beads) that weighed over the 7.78g limit for hallmarking. Would it need hallmarking and if so how would you stamp a bead?

2) if I made a similar bracelet but with smaller beads (say 5mm) that weighed under 7.78g, but then added a silver charm via a jump ring which took it over the 7.78g limit, would this need hallmarking? Read somewhere that if the jump ring was soldered yes but if not no, but want to make sure this is correct.

Really appreciate any help.

The simplest answer is : pretend the elastic is not there and then consider each unit separately. Dennis.

Thank you, so in this instance hallmarking won’t be required. That makes things easier as I am only just starting out.

That said, don't believe what you read on a forum. In matters pertaining to the law, always go to the source, in this case, your nearest assay office. They will be friendly and helpful. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.