Thread: Is it just me?

Default Is it just me?

This drives me potty. I can't afford to lose the first 7-10cm of every coil of wire, but no matter how many times I mention it to CS, it improves briefly, and then reverts to this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coiled-wire.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	13439

Does anyone else have the same problem? Or should I just feel victimized quietly in a corner?

No, it's quite disgraceful. They're treating it like binding wire, at your expense, George.
    When I first started, they tried that on me with quite heavy wire.
    I said 'how am I supposed to straighten that', and the reply was 'with a hammer'
    Luckily being in the showroom I was able to reject it, and in future always said 'dont twist it'-to much rolling of eyes.
    Dennis.

Is the twisted wire extra to what you ordered if so there is no real problem, just cut it off.

Such a waste George, drives me mad too. Still with nylocks so that’s just stupid
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-02-2023 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Is the twisted wire extra to what you ordered if so there is no real problem, just cut it off.
    I wouldn't mind if it was, but these are the fixed weight 30 rolls which is the only thing available for certain wires. I didn't mind too much when wire was a lot cheaper, but it's nigh on impossible to straighten without leaving some marks.

I think it's just laziness and habit, and as Caroline says, completely unnecessary with the ties in place.

I was told the coils come from China like that, which is no excuse and really annoys me too. They sent me a 3mm rod of square wire once bent like a banana and when I complained they sent me another straight one. So wasteful.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Yes, quite true, Bob. Worth weighing a coil to see whether you get some exta. Anyone? Dennis.

I use almost exclusively Argentium I have never encountered this problem from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I was told the coils come from China like that, which is no excuse and really annoys me too. They sent me a 3mm rod of square wire once bent like a banana and when I complained they sent me another straight one. So wasteful.
    I get my wire while in Hong Kong and yes, it's exactly like that. Usually fine if you anneal it and then show it who is in charge
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Since it's supposed to be coming from Germany, that would be pretty poor again. Especially given the supposed commitment to lowering carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, quite true, Bob. Worth weighing a coil to see whether you get some exta. Anyone? Dennis.
    Weighed (without the additional plastic ties. Not a fraction of a gram over the stated 30g.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I get my wire while in Hong Kong and yes, it's exactly like that. Usually fine if you anneal it and then show it who is in charge
    Would be lovely, if the whole point wasn't that it's only the half or spring hard wires (which need to stay in that temper) that are sold this way. The whole objective is not to have to anneal, pickle and reharden, which is just not cost effective.