Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So many jump ring questions

A very safe soldering station consists of a small kitchen torch, a soldering block (I prefer charcoal, but there are cheaper options) and an old biscuit tin. Portable, and with it's own storage built in. It opens up a huge range of options that simply aren't available otherwise, and can really make the difference between homemade and handcrafted in terms of finish.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi BSnow
    Some good beginners jewellery books would be so useful for you to own . They have techniques, a glossary of terms & materials and explain everything really clearly. Some courses are a good way to learn basic bench skills that set you up to go on to tackle most things and then to sell to customers.
    As you are in Canada I’d suggest Amazon US for books or is there a Canadian version? I even buy my jewellery books from the US as they are still cheaper than here in the U.K.
    Many people start off at the kitchen table or the spare bedroom so a soldering set up for small jobs like jump rings is not impossible.
    0.5mm wire seems very thin for jump rings unless soldered and dependant on the weight your piece is. I always use hard for earrings and never solder for safety. Better to split the ring than rip your ear as Jules has already said. I do the same for clasps on necklaces
    What are some of the books you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    A very safe soldering station consists of a small kitchen torch, a soldering block (I prefer charcoal, but there are cheaper options) and an old biscuit tin. Portable, and with it's own storage built in. It opens up a huge range of options that simply aren't available otherwise, and can really make the difference between homemade and handcrafted in terms of finish.
    I never realized you could use a kitchen torch, those look a lot smaller than what I was seeing on youtube for soldering. That might be do-able for me with the space I have! Thank you for the list of items, it's hard when you're on a budget haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Yes - it's just been hardened before sale.

As for the soldering - I've heard of people using the kitchen hob as a safe soldering space before now!
    I miss read your previous post about a "kitchen" torch. I looked them up and that would probably be do-able! I was thinking of what I saw in the soldering youtube videos. What do I need for solder? Can I use a paste?

Not off the top of my head it’s been a long time. Put jewellery techniques, beginners jewellery etc into an Amazon search and see what comes up. It’ll give you info on bench skills and soldering and even stockists more local to you
    I got this page from Amazon, the Jinks McGrath book is good but there will be others . I noticed a book on soldering and even jump rings. Soldering will open up a whole new possibilities as George said if you already have the basic bench skills. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Beginners...f=nb_sb_noss_2
    Last edited by CJ57; 16-02-2023 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSnow View Post
    I miss read your previous post about a "kitchen" torch. I looked them up and that would probably be do-able! I was thinking of what I saw in the soldering youtube videos. What do I need for solder? Can I use a paste?
    For jump rings yes - an "easy" paste will work fine ( easy/medium/hard just refers to the melting point of the solder -easy melts at the lowest temperature). If you really get the bug and want to more complex solderings then you may want to add medium and hard to your stash.

Quote Originally Posted by BSnow View Post
    You can use a paste, but I'd suggest you learn the process by getting some hard and easy solder strip, plus a borax cone. Better to walk first, before going onto paste, as you need to learn how much solder and flux to add in order for the solder to flow. If you just use paste, you won't know how much of each is used. As Caroline says the Jinks McGrath book is a good starting point for learning.
    Jules

I don't know what's going on with the forum, but I posted my reply hours ago, then had a message saying it had been lost, so logged off. Now its appeared in its draft form!

Someone on here said many years ago that medium solder is the work of the devil! Just have a play Bsnow and I'm sure you'll get the drift of it.
    Jules

This is all super helpful everyone! Just wanted to say thank you to all of you for the advice and help. I have taken all the information and have come up with a plan for the next step in my jewelry making

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I don't know what's going on with the forum, but I posted my reply hours ago, then had a message saying it had been lost, so logged off. Now its appeared in its draft form!

Someone on here said many years ago that medium solder is the work of the devil! Just have a play Bsnow and I'm sure you'll get the drift of it.
    Your post was still here with me Jules but there have be a lot of error displays recently between categories and the site has been really sluggish.

I have no idea about medium solder now Jules. Used it quite happily all the way through college as taught and after. I then joined this forum years on in 2011 and it was the devils child so I just stopped using it, how could I possibly not have realised! I really must try some again to see if I’d actually not realised for years or really it was absolutely fine. Solder paste is the only thing that sets off the smoke alarms in the house oh and burning off oxidisation as I found out last week:/