Thread: Hello from Canada!

Default Hello from Canada!

Hello everyone! My name is Brittany and I have recently become a jewelry maker within the last year. I live in Canada and found this forum through some research I was doing. I definitely have hit some roadblocks on my creative journey, so I am looking forward to being a part of these forums and having the opportunity to ask those with more experience my questions. A little bit about what I do: I took an interest in polymer clay over a year ago now, I had always wanted to have my own small business as I am a very creative person but it wasn't until I discovered polymer clay that I finally found my medium. At first I made cute little charms, but I found they were not time efficient and the market for them is pretty small. I've always enjoyed the idea of making jewelry so I decided to try my hand at that instead and I fell in love. My designs are outside of the usual polymer clay style, instead of large bold pieces I prefer small, dainty and cute jewelry. I discovered during the starting process that not many polymer clay artists online talk about the importance of learning the metal working side of things, and that it is actually a huge part of making any jewelry even if you use polymer clay to make your main piece. I am really looking forward to growing my business and learning as much as I can about jewelry making!

Hello Brittany and welcome to the forum.
    The natural progression after making small pieces from metal clay, will be to add findings by soldering.

Metal pieces made from clay are quite porus, and will frustrate you by absorbing any amount of solder withot completing the joint.
    The answer is to melt some solder on the jump ring, or other object to be added, place the two in close contact, and then heat the larger part, until the solder flows (sweat soldering).
    Youtube is a good source of free tutorials. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by BSnow View Post
    Hello everyone! My name is Brittany and I have recently become a jewelry maker within the last year. I live in Canada and found this forum through some research I was doing. I definitely have hit some roadblocks on my creative journey, so I am looking forward to being a part of these forums and having the opportunity to ask those with more experience my questions. A little bit about what I do: I took an interest in polymer clay over a year ago now, I had always wanted to have my own small business as I am a very creative person but it wasn't until I discovered polymer clay that I finally found my medium. At first I made cute little charms, but I found they were not time efficient and the market for them is pretty small. I've always enjoyed the idea of making jewelry so I decided to try my hand at that instead and I fell in love. My designs are outside of the usual polymer clay style, instead of large bold pieces I prefer small, dainty and cute jewelry. I discovered during the starting process that not many polymer clay artists online talk about the importance of learning the metal working side of things, and that it is actually a huge part of making any jewelry even if you use polymer clay to make your main piece. I am really looking forward to growing my business and learning as much as I can about jewelry making!
    Hi there,
    Where in Canada? It’s a big hunk of territory
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk