Thread: New boy

Default New boy

Hello, I'm Larry Gordon and I'm a total novice - just completed my first piece; a fairly heavy cuff from 1.5mm silver sheet. Both myself and my 50y.o. daughter are very pleased with it.

I am now interested to make some smaller pieces from the scrap I accumulated, i.e. a pendant for starters. I have two queries and hope you can point me in the right direction.

I see a lot of silver pieces have a pattern on their surface. How is is done? is it applied by a patterned steel roller? Secondly, I notice that a lot of small silver pieces have a 'glint' to them which looks like a collection of tiny gems in a cluster - but on closer inspection, all I can see are tiny 'dents'. Could these have been made by a simple centre-punch, or is there a special tool which makes the little dents glisten in the light? They just look like little dints about 0.5mm diameter, like a centre-pop mark - maybe I need to go to Spec-savers...

Looking forward to your advice.

Many thanks.

Hi Larry, and welcome to the Forum.
    Yes a trip to Specsavers won't come amiss, but you might also benefit from head band magnificatin of 3.5x, or 4.0x, so that you don't catch fright when you see a picture of your work. It can be quite a cheap head band.
    As for textures, get some metal scrap such as copper sheet, cut it into squares, and try various methods of texturing, by using bits if iron as punches, the ball of a ballpein hammer, the face of an old hammer with grooves filed in, and any other tools you might have.
    A rolling mill provides a means of using, prepared metal sheets, art paper and fabric for texturing. You can also investigate etching and companies which will replicate designs by laser. Dennis

Thanks for the advice Dennis. Yes, I have purchased a magnifying headband. I will do as you say and experiment on some scrap

And a good directional source of light! Beware this “hobby” can and in my case has become addictive! I am relatively new as well and have enjoyed exploring and pushing the boundaries of my endeavours. You will no doubt go up “blind “ alleys but there is always something to gain and learn. The experienced members here are always very willing to give advice,
    so never be backward in coming forwards and ask!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yes…..and use “YouTube”. There is a wealth of knowledge there, free and for nothing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk