Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Butane Torch is best?

Default Which Butane Torch is best?

Hi
    Am looking to get a handheld butane torch to use at home and wondered if anyone could advise which is the best between the following available from Cooksongold:

Dremel Versaflame Butane Blow Torch With Accessories

Jewellers Soldering Hand Torch Butane Blow Torch

Unfortunately I cannot post the URL as I am too new a member.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was me I would be buying the basic jewellers soldering torch. I find the Dremel a bit gimmicky having to pay more for the accessories and case that I would probably never use.
    Another thing I don’t like about the Dremel is all the extra buttons, for me a safety switch first it’s totally unnecessary and annoying if doing a lot of quick repetitive jobs like chain making. In the UK B&Q stock the Dremel so you can have a look first … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 22-01-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Hi Yorkshire, and welcome to the forum.

As you probably know, the power of a torch is related to the size of the burner, and the gas used.
    So while beginners usually start with a re-fillable micro torch, which can be used for soldering small items, such as chains, jump rings, thin rings and small pendants, they soon find they struggle and fail with heftier items.

So if you are not ready to invest in something more sophisticated, I would suggest you buy a Proxxon Microflame, followed by a Max Flame torch, both available from Cookson.

Armed with these, if needs must, you can use them tigether, one in each hand, to add some power if solder does not flow.
    Here is a page to browse for more general information.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...ih=631&dpr=1.5
    Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-01-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    If it was me I would be buying the basic jewellers soldering torch. I find the Dremel a bit gimmicky having to pay more for the accessories and case that I would probably never use.
    Another thing I don’t like about the Dremel is all the extra buttons, for me a safety switch first it’s totally unnecessary and annoying if doing a lot of quick repetitive jobs like chain making. In the UK B&Q stock the Dremel so you can have a look first … N
    Thank you for your insight! I was leaning toward the basic jewellers torch

Default Which Butane Torch is best?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Yorkshire, and welcome to the forum.

As you probably know, the power of a torch is related to the size of the burner, and the gas used.
    So while beginners usually start with a re-fillable micro torch, which can be used for soldering small items, such as chains, jump rings, thin rings and small pendants, they soon find they struggle and fail with heftier items.

So if you are not ready to invest in something more sophisticated, I would suggest you buy a Proxxon Microflame, followed by a Max Flame torch, both available from Cookson.

Armed with these, if needs must, you can use them tigether, one in each hand, to add some power if solder does not flow.
    Here is a page to browse for more general information.
    [
    Dennis.
    Thanks so much Dennis! I know that these micro-torches lack power, but don’t feel ready for a set up involving large tanks yet.
    You have given me something to think about so I will look at the link you sent.

What would your recommendation be (not using propane) if I went for something other than these hand-held torches, so it lasts me a bit longer in my progression?

Much appreciated

Last edited by TheYorkshireJeweller; 22-01-2023 at 02:58 PM.

( not using Propane ) The torches you are considering use Propane, if you do not want to invest in tanks and use something like a Smiths Little Torch then you are limited to the small hand torches that you have already mentioned, which are a compromise at best.

Hi, I have four butane torches and I use the one that best suits the job. My smallest torch from Cooksongold is great for jump rings, balling ends of wire and other small jobs. My most used torch is a cooks torch that Lidl sell occasionally, next one up is a large cooks torch from a kitchen supply place (Nisbetts I think) and then I have a fine flame Go-System torch with butane/propane from B&Q. The Go System is good for chunky things and bangles.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    ( not using Propane ) The torches you are considering use Propane, if you do not want to invest in tanks and use something like a Smiths Little Torch then you are limited to the small hand torches that you have already mentioned, which are a compromise at best.
    Ok thanks. I was told it was Butane. Interesting.

Butane and Propane are essentially the same

I'm going to take the opposite view on that - they're both simple hydrocarbons, they differ by only a few atoms, but a) we don't tend to use high-pressure butane as a fuel (most of the butane regulators are fixed 28mbar output) and b) only butane is available in small canisters for refilling lighters and hand-held torches.
    Then there's the latent heat of vaporisation (or why I'd not bother using butane to power a pizza oven in our current sub-zero temperatures)...