Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Butane Torch is best?

A fascinating subject the complexities of gas torches. I thought about doing a video on the theme. So just had a look on YouTube to see who else has covered the subject and came across a really nice video covering most of the ground but doesn’t go as far as oxy propane torches. If you’re interested in seeing this video you can find it by searching … Kim’s collection of torches … N

Ok what I was saying that Propane and Butane are both LPG as compared to different gases used in torches, such as Acetylene and Hydrogen, Propane is considered better in cold climates and burns slightly hotter.
    After all that, my intension was to point out to the OP is the gas is the same with different additives and in a torch you would barely notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    A fascinating subject the complexities of gas torches. I thought about doing a video on the theme. So just had a look on YouTube to see who else has covered the subject and came across a really nice video covering most of the ground but doesn’t go as far as oxy propane torches. If you’re interested in seeing this video you can find it by searching … Kim’s collection of torches … N
    Thank you - really kind of you. I will watch tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather late in on this post, but here’s my 2 pence worth!
    For small bits I use a Proxon butane torch. Good pointy flame, easily regulated and light. Then I have a Sievert propane set up with 3 different burners. Number 1 is good for smallish work. The next a good all rounder which I use more and more. This can be really quite fierce and the third a right royal “volcano” of a burner that I have only used a handful of times. I would love to have a smiths little torch oxygen / acetylene but my home insurance doesn’t approve!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi David, I have the same sort of collection of gas torches as you however I do feel privileged in owning a smiths little torch … shame your insurer won’t allow an oxygen bottle.
    Not sure what oxygen generators are like I think they will run a SLT although a lot more of a set up cost with them … N

Well Nick, come to think of it we changed our insurers last renewal to NFU. I will ring them and see what their attitude is.

I wouldn’t bother with acetylene, no need for it when making jewellery, propane is plenty hot enough when mixed with oxygen and much more convenient … good luck with it … Nick

I agree with Nick, also Propane is much cleaner for indoor use, Acetylene produces soot every time you light up.

Our home insurers NFU have confirmed that I can have this torch with oxygen cylinder / butane in the house…..phew!
    Now to source oxygen bottles etc……any advice?

O2 in the house? Interesting.

There's a couple of rent-free schemes - AlBee and Hobbyweld being the two I know of, otherwise it's rental & accounts with e.g. BOC.

Whatever you go for, be aware Calor are dropping smaller propane & butane cylinders from their range. Which is annoying.