Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Butane Torch is best?

I use hobbyweld, very convenient with a supply nearby there bottles have a refundable deposit. A few things to consider … your insurer may state butane is for indoor use whereas a SLT runs on propane. More people are now using oxygen generators/concentrators. I suppose cost-effective if you are using a lot. I would love one, but not sure of their reliability if unused for a while. Maybe somebody with experience could advise on the pros and cons of them. Worthwhile purchasing spray leak detector when using oxygen as leaks are odourless. It’s worth decompressing and bleeding regulators and oxygen hose lines when not in use, I once had a new oxygen regulator fail after about 18 months it started leaking from an unserviceable seam. Oxygen bottles are narrow and prone to falling over, so worth tethering to a sturdy table leg or bracket to prevent the inevitable … Good luck with it … Nick.

Dopey me ……I meant PROPANE not butane. Will investigate supply and size / height /weight of the cylinders as my jewellery workshop has taken over a small bedroom and although not mow used at all domestically I must make it neat and tidy otherwise she that must be obeyed will make agro for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Know what you mean, I am banished to a cold garage … N

What size bottle do you recommend ? BOC have a presence near me.

I’m not sure about BOC I think you need an account with them and pay a yearly rental charge on their bottles and sometimes a handling charge. I started out with a small bottle from Hobbyweld. A 17kg bottle that holds 9L if it was water about 6 inches in diameter and about 3 feet tall. It was roughly £80 for a refundable deposit and £30 for the exchangeable refill gas. I used Wellington welding https://www.wellyweld.com who deals in hobbyweld gas and supplied all the other kit I needed for set up. I.e oxygen regulator, adjustable propane regulator, y manifold, flashback arrestors, leak detector spray and uv smoky lens safety glasses … Hope this helps … N

Thanks that sounds great. Will get at this over the next few days. The local jewellery school use similar where I went for some stone setting tuition so I am going to give them a call as well. Thanks so much for your encouragement and advice.
    David

Good luck with it David. Hope it goes well … N

Quote: and uv smoky lens safety glasses

I think its viewing the red hot metal, that might lead to cataracts you need to worry about, so it's infra red protection as for kilns and furnaces.
    Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I wonder if the amateurs amongst us do not pay enough attention to safety and general protection…..hands / eyes / dust filters etc. Many of us work in a domestic situation so don’t want to over clutter our probably small work areas. I know I am guilty.