Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scratch or crack in stone

Default scratch or crack in stone

Hi everyone! I just finished bezel setting a Natural Cacoxenite (Super Seven) Gemstone. (Please don't judge my bezel setting - this is only my second one and I'm just learning.) I noticed there is a scratch or crack in the stone and I have absolutely no idea how it got there. (I did have to file a tiny bit of the edge of the stone for it to fit into my bezel.... maybe that cracked it?) I can feel it with my fingernail. Is there anything I can do to save this stone? Thanks for your help!
    Cindy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4056.jpg   IMG_4060.jpg   IMG_4059.jpg  

If the stone is cracked the only way to save it is, remove from setting and recut to a smaller stone, if it is a scratch it could be polished out either way it will have to come out of the setting.

It does look as if this defect was there before you started, and became more prominent under pressure when setting.

The stone needs to be unset, by passing the point of a scalpel between it and the collet, lightly and all the way round , multiple times, until it is free enough to remove with heavy sticky tape of the kind to hang pictures.

I'm sorry, but the rest is all bad news:
    Having the stone professionally recut will be expensive and much reduce it's value, so probably not worth it. In time you will have a collection of these.
    The likelyhood of finding a new stone on line, that will fit well enough is slim, so a new bezel will probably be needed.

Shoot the messenger. Dennis

I was afraid this would be all bad news.... bummer. I like the stone and I hate to waste the setting. The stone is an odd size, so even if I'm able to remove it, I won't find a stone that will fit this setting. Just in case it's a scratch that is not too deep, is there any method that could sand/buff it out?

There are various options - you could try progressively finer grades of diamond paste or aluminium oxides on leather, both of which need a fair bit of elbow grease.

I've always used polygold wheels, but I think these have now been discontinued, and replaced by a product called dia-quick in Europe or gemshine in the US. They're basically a small felt wheel impregnated with diamond paste which is released as they heat up in use.

All of these need careful handling so you don't overheat, but can make a difference.

The other option is to take a wabi-sabi approach and add some gold or silver leaf to highlight the imperfection rather than trying to restore or disguise it. This would probably be my preference, especially given the fairly organic look of the piece to start with.

Hi Cindy , Unfortunately no matter how much scratch removal you try it wont work. It looks like a fracture right across the stone that was probably just under the surface. If you wish to save the setting I would suggest hitting the stone with a hammer ( Brutal I know) but effective and then you can just pop all the pieces out. What size is the stone I may be able to find a replacement for you. I cant cut one as dont have any Super Seven rough. But if you get one that is larger then I could cut it down to size . John
    Last edited by J Allison; 15-01-2023 at 10:41 AM.

If you want to re use the setting you could make your own centrepiece out of resin - you could make something lovely to your own design. Alternatively one made of glass would also work

George,
    Ohhhhhhhh.... I actually like the gold or silver leaf idea. I have gold foil that I have used for keum boo. Any thoughts on if or how I could use that on stone? Or is there another gold or silver product that could be used? I LOVE that something like this might be an option!!! Thanks for your brainstorming!
    Cindy

J Allison,
    The stone is 18x27mm. I'd be interested in hearing your options.
    Thanks!!
    Cindy

Caro,
    Great ideas! (Ideas and brainstorming is exactly what I need right now, so thank you!) I have never worked with resin (yet!). But that's a great thought in terms of replacing it with something completely different. Thank you!
    Cindy