Thread: Torch leaking gas

Default Torch leaking gas

Good morning, after some advice please. I noticed that my torch has started to leak a tiny bit of gas. I removed the nozzle and couldn't see any deposits and screwed it back on tightly. But it still leaks when I am using it for prolonged heating. Is there any type of sealant available or should I just replace the nozzle. It's probably around 10 years old.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedP1120928.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	13433

I would give the threads and seat good clean with a wire brush, flush with a solvent, check for any burs or dings and see if that fixes things.

Idiot question - assuming that's a Sievert, is the washer still there between burner & tube?

Yes, it's a Sievert & the washer is still in position. I unscrewed it again and made sure it was extra tight. It seems to have worked. Fingers crossed. Lucky I have a good sense of smell!

I wasn't supplied with any washers when I got my replacement tube and assume I need one for each end?
    Jules

Different type of joints on the hose, the washer is needed for the where the burner attaches to the handle.

Many thanks for this useful advice Alistair, which is much appreciated. I'll take it off and check.
    Jules