Thread: Value rolling mill

Default Value rolling mill

Hello, I am very new to making jewellery and have many questions that i hope you experts can help me with. My wife has bought me a cooksongold budget rolling mill for xmas and i want to know if i need to purchase another roller to produce round and square wire as it only came with a half round and triangle rollers? Hope someone out there can help. Many thanks in advance Terry.

Hi TSL, and welcome to the forum.
    The first rule for newbies is never to buy anything until you really need it.
    It's a good little mill, but mills are not as good drawplates for creating accurate wires, and are limited for size.
    Wires can alreay be bought in all shapes and sizes, with the exception of triangular, which is my favourite and often adds interest.

Another point is that when working you will become inccreasingly reluctant to stop and change rollers, so you might make a little more wire for future stock, before you change back again.

Enjoy your mill, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ac7 Argentium Ear Hoops 20.00mm.jpg  

I f you can purchase a additional roller for round and square wire it would be an advantage, although with the budget mills it can be a bit of a pain changing the roller all the time.

Many thanks for your replies and advice. will be ordering a draw plate soon.

You will need draw tongs and some form of draw bench too. Dennis