Thread: Rescuing overheated silver for casting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rescuing overheated silver for casting

As a new hobbyist, I’m trying delft casting. I was successful with my first piece but last time I used too much silver (grains) for my butane torch (in cold weather), so it didn’t get hot enough and it didn’t pour properly. As I was heating for at least 15 mins, the silver now has a ‘lovely’ green and red hue and looks porous. Can I just remelt it? Should I pickle first? Or is it ruined?
    Thanks for any advice. I’ve only just found this forum so I found what I’d done wrong but don’t have the knowledge to correct it.

Re-melt it with plenty of borax, then pickle, and you will have a button of clean silver. Welcome to the forum Dennis.

Many thanks Dennis. I’ll have another go, hopefully the warmer weather might help the torch!

A warmer room will help a little, but really it's better to get a bigger torch, even if it is only a DIY plumbing one. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch.jpg  

If doing a lot of Delft Clay casting a large torch will really help. It’s so easy to pour prematurely before the metal and crucible are properly hot producing disappointing results … N

Hi, Following your advice on a better torch for my casting, I’ve been bought a sievert torch to go on a propane cylinder. I now find that I can’t buy new cylinders near me from flogas or calor. They are only doing refills or green leisure cylinders (which I understand are low pressure and no use). Does anyone know of any other types of propane cylinder I can use, maybe with an adapter to fit the Sievert POL fitting on the regulator? Or do I just need to scour the country for a cylinder and then go and visit friends near there to collect it! Any safe ideas welcome! Thanks.