Thread: how long to handmake a tube set ring

Default how long to handmake a tube set ring

Hi everyone, hope you are all warm enough - its too cold in Devon

I just wanted to ask a second opinion on handmaking tube set rings and the time it takes me....

For context I am self-taught silversmith, running a full time fledgling business with a view to making profit, i.e. not a hobbyist :-) and I handmake everything using sheet, wire and tube (except chain, ear scrolls and clasps) - I do not use premade settings because I have found that these are too thin and aren't great for the gems I buy (traceable from small scale operations usually with a size variance rather than the calibrated ones from the "big" suppliers)

Anyway I made a 4mm tube set ring yesterday and it took me about 2.5 hours start to 99% done .... am I taking too long?

Thanks all :-)

V
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 62AB25D5-1F93-4652-B35D-0B2F4E0F1806_1_201_a.jpg  
    Last edited by verbena; 19-12-2022 at 11:16 AM.

just to clarify - I'm talking about the premade fine silver settings that cost about £1 each or less - I know there are special cast settings that are much thicker that you can adjust yourself, but these are a bit too expensive for my business budget at the moment - time rich, cash poor :-)

The ring looks very nice. If you are time rich its not important how long it takes its how its finished thats important. I cast most of my rings and it would take me around 30 mins to size polish and set that ring I think. I have been doing it a while though (25+ years).

Ah thank you :-)

Well I thought I should use the time it takes as a basis for pricing, which was why I wanted to ask whether it sounded realistic. However based on what you said, I think I must be going too slowly as it definitely took me more than 30 mins to set and polish alone... so possibly timing is not the correct way to decide on pricing anyway hmmm

Anyway thank you for replying and the kind words about the ring :-)

I don’t think it’s realistic to charge by time when you are starting out. It’s better to look around for similar quality and start from there. You shouldn’t have to explain your pricing but you also can’t afford to start overpricing from the start before you’re really proficient. Even now after 40 years but 20 back to it properly there are times when a piece can take much longer than it should but in the end as Josef said it’s the quality and finish of the end product that’s important. The customer can’t be expected to pay for that
    Forgot to add too that the ring is looking good so it’s just practice if that’s the way you want to price
    Last edited by CJ57; 19-12-2022 at 05:51 PM.

thanks Caroline for the nice comment on the ring and for the advice

I agree, I can't and would never, charge a customer for the time I spend learning or if for example, it takes me longer due to a mistake.

the timing mentioned was based on me already knowing exactly what I need to do method-wise, miraculously - not making any mistakes, and ending up with something I am proud of and happy to sell ... and that was the time I ended up with - which is why I thought I would ask for another opinion as I thought it still seemed too long for using as a basis of pricing. I had read advice elsewhere on this forum that materials + time was a fair way to price but I'm starting to doubt that now or otherwise wonder if I misunderstood it. finding a balance between recognising my limits but equally attributing a fair value to what I am able to do (which is no longer at hobbyist / beginner level in my view) is a difficult one to strike, but I expect it is part of the process of trying make this my career which I realise will take place over years and not months!

anyway thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate you both taking the time to share your experience with me which means so much more coming from working jewellers - it has also probably saved me from going right off in the wrong direction so I am really grateful for your feedback :-)

Quote Originally Posted by verbena View Post
    thanks Caroline for the nice comment on the ring and for the advice

I agree, I can't and would never, charge a customer for the time I spend learning or if for example, it takes me longer due to a mistake.

the timing mentioned was based on me already knowing exactly what I need to do method-wise, miraculously - not making any mistakes, and ending up with something I am proud of and happy to sell ... and that was the time I ended up with - which is why I thought I would ask for another opinion as I thought it still seemed too long for using as a basis of pricing. I had read advice elsewhere on this forum that materials + time was a fair way to price but I'm starting to doubt that now or otherwise wonder if I misunderstood it. finding a balance between recognising my limits but equally attributing a fair value to what I am able to do (which is no longer at hobbyist / beginner level in my view) is a difficult one to strike, but I expect it is part of the process of trying make this my career which I realise will take place over years and not months!

anyway thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate you both taking the time to share your experience with me which means so much more coming from working jewellers - it has also probably saved me from going right off in the wrong direction so I am really grateful for your feedback :-)
    It’s really difficult to know how to price at the beginning but it’ll all fall into place once you get into your stride. To me a quality finish is key, I’m a bit anal about that.Your ring will sell itself just don’t underprice either, I’ve seen some people almost give their work away diminishing the skills involved