Thread: Cheap gas torch.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cheap gas torch.

Hi all I know cheap tools aren’t for everyone but I couldn’t resist this gas torch when I saw it in Lidl … good for an emergency spare.
    I made a quick video to show it … https://youtu.be/smw2NtTOW0s … cheers … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 16-12-2022 at 12:26 AM.

Looks useful Nick, but is it cheap?

Hi Dennis, I have bought a torch in the past that cost the same … £10. A nice little torch and still going strong. However this one from Lidl feels a bit cheap but come supposedly with a three year warranty … cheers … Nick

Yes, a good price, but I'm havering a bit.

Having seen two instances where a mini torch became enveloped in flames, I have stuck to torches from a reputable source, in the hope that they have been vetted for safety.

When that happens all you can do is drop it in a flame proof area, and keep away until it burns out, or use an extinguisher, or fire blanket. You can but hope that it wont explode, so it's quite scary.
    Dennis.

I quite agree Dennis safety comes first. I only showed this one because I consider it has come from a reputable source. A lot of people are very fearful of using gas torches and will never move on from wire raping to try soldering. I suppose rightly so considering how dangerous gas can be. A simple mistake that can be made with this sort of torch is that it is easily overfilled spilling liquid gas into a space or void that then starts to vaporise causing an ignition hazard. If you now pull the trigger before it’s vented fully a fireball ensues … like you say … very scary stuff … N
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 17-12-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredGray View Post
    I am thinking about buying a torch and thanks for the suggestion. It is affordable for me as well.
    I didn't know Lidl had branches in India.

(And yes, I do check back to see what's been edited on posts I suspect to be spam)
    Last edited by ps_bond; 26-01-2023 at 08:33 AM.