Thread: DIY Gold solder

Default DIY Gold solder

Hi,

I have 20g of scrap 9ct gold, and want to try to make a chain, I'm thinking about solder and was thinking to make my own.

Can I use some of the 9ct scrap I have and add some zinc? Would that work? Or is it a bit more complex than that?

Thanks

There's really no point. If you buy some solder by the cm in the form of wire. you can spend a very modest amount on solder which will actually work well.
    Please note that when soldering red, or rose gold, the heat will turn it a little more yellow. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There's really no point. If you buy some solder by the cm in the form of wire. you can spend a very modest amount on solder which will actually work well.
    Please note that when soldering red, or rose gold, the heat will turn it a little more yellow. Dennis.
    Yea, I get that, but just interested in trying to make some for gold and silver... or paste even!

As aid above it is not really practical, your scrap Gold would have more value as Gold than turning it into solder in saying I have a formula, I have never tried it and the person who gave it to me has long since passed.
    Silver 55%,Copper 40%, Zinc%, this makes base Solder, you then mix 60% of what ever Karat Gold you want with 40% of the base Solder.

Ok had lots of trouble trying to post won't let me delete the duplicates can the Guru (Peter) delete the two extra posts

You've made your point x3 Bob. What remains unsaid is that even if you dont hallmark, it is as well to end up with hallmarking quality solder.
    Dennis.

Yes Dennis I agree I was just passing on a formula I was given, ( probably from the 1940's ) I would not do it as I said scrap Gold has more value to me than using it to make Solder, just though if he /she wished to have a go. X3 yes don't know what went astray kept rejecting my post then all of sudden there were three of them.