Thread: buying raw diamonds from overseas

Default buying raw diamonds from overseas

Hi all,

So I have a question regarding buying raw diamonds for jewelry making from overseas. I found some raw diamonds on ebay that fit my purposes (was trying to post link but I am not allowed unfortunately).

The seller states that their diamonds meet the requirements for the Kimberley Certification scheme, however they also mention that they do not issue certificates for small lots (which this one is).

As far as I understand you do need a certificate to be able to import the diamonds into the EU, is this correct? So how would this work if this seller specifically states they do not issue certificates?

Thanks for your help!

Corinna

I would not buy Diamonds from any where that will not issue a certificate.

I imagine that if customs spot them then they'll confiscate them.

You cannot be sure that these aren't conflict diamonds and just because the seller says they are certifiable doesn't mean they are telling the truth of course.

We are no longer in the EU
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

The UK has signed up to the Kimberley Process in its own right though so whether the OP is in the EU or the UK makes no difference here.

I did wonder if there was a de minimis exemption which the seller is relying on but I can't find any reference to one in the process

The OP mentioned importing into the EU
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks for your responses. Yes I would be importing to the EU since I am no longer located in the UK but in Sweden.

It is a really tiny amount, therefore I am also not too concerned about their authenticity. If they are really fake I am not going to loose a lot of money.

Interesting thought about the de minimis excemption, I didn't think about that.

By the way, if I would use these diamonds as they are, in their raw state (without polishing/drilling/etc) and set them into a piece of jewelry, would they still qualify as raw diamonds? Meaning if I travel with them or ship the finished pieces out of the EU, would I still need to declare them with a certificate? Or are they no longer considered "raw" once they are set into jewelry, even if I did not alter the diamonds themselves?

I don't think there is a de minimis exemption though!

Authenticity isn't the reason for the Kimberley Process though - it's to cut off the funding to terrorist and other criminal activity by tracing the diamonds back to the source. If the seller isn't willing o give you the provenance and the certificates then I would naturally expect that is because he cannot and you may be buying "blood diamonds".

There are hundreds of diamond sellers at the Hong Kong gem shows- a whole huge hall of them. I don't go in as I don't do diamonds but browsing the list of diamond sellers could be a way of finding someone who is at least reasonably commercially straight. (or a great excuse for a buying trip to HK of course)
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk