Thread: Powered saw

Default Powered saw

Advice again! Are there any powered fine saws for cutting out shapes in silver sheet up to say 1mm or so thick? Having a degree of osteoarthritis in my fingers and wrists, I find this job quite difficult / painful.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, there are scroll saws with blades for metal. When I first started, I got the Proxxon one. I found it quite difficult to keep on track. You have to keep the sheet pressed down, because it tends to lift with the saw.
    If the blade comes undone, or breaks, there is a good ten minutes wasted fiddling in the dark lower space to replace it.
    After a short time, it was relegated to a top shelf, where it has gathered dust for more than 20 years. Dennis.

Oh! Not very encouraging. I have seen others advertised, so will look around. At least you confirm it can cut the metal even if it has a mind of its own!
    David

I have a 600 mm Australian made jigsaw in my wood work shed, I have successfully used it for Silver, blades take about 30sec to change. I know a couple of jewellers who use one of this type, you can usually find a good used unit and parts are available for just about all models of the Henger
    https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/tech...t-1-scroll-saw

Thanks China. I will investigate
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a scrollsaw for metals - I didn't have a problem keep the sheet pressed down, but if I let go then hit the same problem as Dennis.
    The other issue is that stroke length is very short, so you only use a small portion of the blade. This gets a bit annoying when you start finding you've got a collection of blades that are only blunt for a 20mm section...

There's a Knew Concepts powered saw which uses the full stroke length.

I've just started sketching some plans for a saw built around off-the-shelf parts; won't end up desperately cheap as I'm looking at basing it around a linear rail for the movement (and lack of play in the movement).

Now that sounds interesting. Please “keep me in the loop”
    David

The Knew Concepts version was what came immediately to mind - but it's eyewateringly expensive!

https://www.knewconcepts.com/Precision-power-saw.php

PHEW! Don’t think I could justify that outlay….but what a beast!
    David.