Thread: Chain “ends”

Default Chain “ends”

Showing even more of my ignorance now! How is best to end a chain with an attachable ring that one can’t use a jump ring due to either links too small or none as in a snake chain. I have seen various ends to solder on but before I lay out on various types I thought I would ask my elders and betters or younger and more enlightened for their advice!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi David,

Here you will get lots of answers,
    My view is that snake chain is not that strong, and prone to permanent kinks if not treated gently.
    So I avoid introducing a vulnerable spot by soldering.
    Instead I find a well fitting piece of tubing, flatten one end and solder on a jump ring and extension chain.

Once polished, this can be glued on, using a glue of your choice. Mine is rapid 2 part epoxy.

Below I have shown my dog whistle necklace using this method. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dog Whistle Necklace.jpg  

Thanks yet again! Yes I have replaced my wife’s snake chain more than once with a terminal kink in it. I am not a lover of them! I have some chain now, departing from the “E00 chain!” which is too fine to thread a Jump ring thro it, so your way sounds great….watch this space!
    David

If you are really careful you could just solder a jump ring directly onto the end of the chain.

Default Chain “ends”

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    If you are really careful you could just solder a jump ring directly onto the end of the chain.
    Errrr yes! But with really fine chain however I try using all the tips, tricks and advice I can get hold of, I end up with a blob of meted chain!
    I see there are ends you can bend round the end of chain (cooksons) and wondered if anyone had used them. Dennis’s solution of tubing and 2 part epoxy seems a great idea……I must have a go.
    David.

I have some crimp ends for fine snake chain. I have no idea where I got them.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Palmers maybe?
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Palmers maybe?
    Thanks…Palmers do have fine tube with a “jump ring” one end. I will see if inserting the end of a 1mm or less wide chain into the tube, then injecting easy solder paste around it ……then heating the ring end till the solder paste melts, will work……..before the chain melts! Anyone else got any ideas.
    Mind you Dennis’s first reply is the same, using tube, soldering on a jump ring and using 2 part epoxy is basically the same. I just don’t trust epoxy!! Any reaction to my mistrust???
    David.

The glue is inserted with a piece of saw blade. Never had one undo, or seen any reaction to it once set. You can deliberately undo it by gentle heating with a flame and pulling. Dennis.

Sounds just what the Doctor ordered!
    Sent to a direct note….trouble with too full a post box apparently.