Thread: Jubilee Hallmark

Default Jubilee Hallmark

Hi everyone, I hope you’re all having a wonderful Friday.

I was wondering if anyone could help me to clarify the assay note requirements for the application of the platinum jubilee hallmark.

This will be my first time sending items in for hallmarking and as I’m filling out the form I notice there is no specific location to request the hallmark be applied.

Am I correct in thinking I should simply request it in the additional notes section?

Also- is it ok for me to send in unfinished pendants that don’t yet have a bail attached (they’re literally just shaped and emeried so far)?

If there’s any other advice you’d like to throw in please do- I’m very nervous sending in my first batch. I’m with Birmingham. Nervous and excited all in one!

Any advise is as always greatly appreciated
    Thank you!
    Nina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great timing with this as I was about to post the link to a piece on hallmarking in the FT https://www.ft.com/content/c294f773-...f-1c54ab990b34
    I recall that when I toured the London office and was chatting to the amazing bods actually doing the testing they asked us not to wrap and wrap and wrap every single piece in about a meter of bubble wrap or otherwise mean that it takes them time and effort even to find the piece.
    Suggest you make a mark on the piece in something like red non permanent marker where you want the marks to go..which again makes the assayer's life easier as he isn't trying to guess what you want.
    I think that all the metalwork should be done so a soldered bail should be attached but a bail which is just closed with pliers is not a perm. part of the piece so doesn't need to go.
    Don't be scared. While I am with London and not Brum, I reckon the staff at the assay office will be just as lovely and ready to help (especially if you haven't irritated them!)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Great timing with this as I was about to post the link to a piece on hallmarking in the FT https://www.ft.com/content/c294f773-...f-1c54ab990b34
    I recall that when I toured the London office and was chatting to the amazing bods actually doing the testing they asked us not to wrap and wrap and wrap every single piece in about a meter of bubble wrap or otherwise mean that it takes them time and effort even to find the piece.
    Suggest you make a mark on the piece in something like red non permanent marker where you want the marks to go..which again makes the assayer's life easier as he isn't trying to guess what you want.
    I think that all the metalwork should be done so a soldered bail should be attached but a bail which is just closed with pliers is not a perm. part of the piece so doesn't need to go.
    Don't be scared. While I am with London and not Brum, I reckon the staff at the assay office will be just as lovely and ready to help (especially if you haven't irritated them!)
    Thank you so much for your advice and link to the article, it’s a very interesting read!

In terms of the jubilee hallmark, will you be requesting it for your pieces? If so, will you simply be adding the request in the ‘additional notes’ section?

I would give them a ring to ask the specifics on that mark. It won’t be on the form as it’s a short term option. Unfortunately I haven’t sent anything in since April and wasn’t even aware of it until they cancelled and then reinstated the mark. If you don’t want to phone then if you’re adding an instruction sheet for special items or laser marking then you could add a note on there and hope for the best. I’ve missed the opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I would give them a ring to ask the specifics on that mark. It won’t be on the form as it’s a short term option. Unfortunately I haven’t sent anything in since April and wasn’t even aware of it until they cancelled and then reinstated the mark. If you don’t want to phone then if you’re adding an instruction sheet for special items or laser marking then you could add a note on there and hope for the best. I’ve missed the opportunity
    I’ll give them a ring on Monday, thank you Caroline. Sorry to see you missed the opportunity. I wonder if they’ll release one for King Charles in the new year!

Hi Nina,

I tried to reply to this when you originally posted, but for some reason the Cookies site closed and I lost all the info..
    Anyhoo, these suggestions may help, based on my experience.

Always mark where you want the hallmark to be. Consider if its a delicate piece, if so, then add a note to the notes section form saying "please strike lightly". If not you will find its struck and you may have to polish out the reverse if its been struck particularly hard. If, however, you want the hallmark to be a particularly striking and noticeable part of the piece, then just mark with a sharpie where you'd like the HM to be and look forward to its return. As its your first time, I'd photograph everything. I always use RM Special Delivery and wrap in one long piece of bubble wrap so there is no movement of contents in the box, rather than several packets, as you'll be charged more for this.

You shouldn't have to go for laser marking, just ask them to stamp items lightly and that should be fine. If you get stuck, just give them a ring, as they are very helpful.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Jules