Thread: Torch for delft casting

Wink Torch for delft casting

Hi there

I am looking to get back into delft casting.
    I was wondering, do you think it would be possible using a small hand torch?

I would be casting very small things, so won't be needing a lot of silver.

I did a lot of casting at uni, but not a lot since. Trying to work out if my current torch is big enough.

Thank you

Well, you've got the small hand torch Ce, so you can prove me wrong. But I'm willing to bet that it will not heat your silver enough even for a small casting.
    The minimum would be a hand held brazing torch for DIY plumbing, which has interchangeable canisters. The trouble is that they can.t be delivered with gas, so it's best to find a local ironmonger, or DIY shop such as B&Q, Toolstation etc. Dennis

Hi CE I quite agree with Dennis … I do a lot of delft clay casting with a small square 2 inch ceramic crucible from Cookson‘s … perfect for the job … even if I’m going to pour tiny amounts of silver the whole crucible has to be hot and up to temperature if it’s going to work well. I would struggle to do that with a small handheld butane torch. I find for a successful pour the metal temperature has to be just right, I know it’s ready when the molten metal moves and rolls easily around the crucible like mercury this only happens when the crucible is hot.
    Hope this helps … Nick