Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choice of Silver Findings and Spacers

Default Choice of Silver Findings and Spacers

Hello, I am relatively new at making beaded jewelry. My focus is earrings and bracelets. It’s important to me that I only use findings, spacers and bead caps that are silver plated or gold filled at a minimum. However, when my sister visited from Hawaii, I noticed the bead caps on her earrings were devoid of silver, leaving only a dull grey metal, after only 8 months. (Note that metal tarnishes rapidly in Hawaii.) So my question is, is this likely a case of believing I had purchased silver plated, when it actually wasn’t, or are silver plated pieces short-lived, necessitating solid silver? Once I determine an acceptable type of silver, does anyone have a link to a site that is trustworthy for purchasing these items? Thanks.

Given your location, I'd have thought Rio or Otto Frei would be the sensible options.

Oops I forgot to put my location in my profile. It should now indicate United States.

Silver plating doesn't last long if it gets rubbed. However I would have thought that bead caps on earrings should last longer than 8 months before wearing off. Did you try a polishing cloth on them to see if it was just tarnish?

Bracelets can wear very fast if they rub against clothing and various chemicals can damage the plate too

I only use sterling myself.

You may want to investigate Argentium, it suffers less from tarnish etc.

I don't think I've ever seen pre- made findings in argentium? If you have a source I'd love to see it. I'd be happy to upgrade from sterling.

(I wouldn't want to make my own - It takes more time than the job is worth)

Cookson have some and there are sone on Etsy. Dennis.

She’s in the US so the suggestions Peter gave her would probably be where she should go. Rio Grande keep everything you would want and things you didn’t know you needed. Good job they aren’t in the U.K.!
    Last edited by CJ57; 28-10-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    She’s in the US so the suggestions Peter gave her would probably be where she should go. Rio Grande keep everything you would want and things you didn’t know you needed. Good job they aren’t in the U.K.!
    Note if buying from the US. ..check whether the items conform to the nickel content rules which still apply at present (but of course might be scrapped in Mogg's abolish everything from the EU bill...in which case we might all be itching again.)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thank you all! I did discover she has worn them to bed on occasion, so based on the comments it probably is a case of wearing off the silver in addition to the rapid tarnishing situation in Hawaii. I’m going to buy tarnish strips for her and tell her no more wearing earrings in bed. Lol Meanwhile I’m purchasing solid silver for bracelets.