Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argentium silver fusing and soldering problem

Thanks for the info, I will experiment some more.

This may not help you with your soldering problems but it may be useful for you in the future.

Cookson's are supplying argentium 940. This version of argentium is more robust at high temperatures.

https://www.argentiumsilver.com/post...al-improvement

So just a quick update - I resolved my issue by soldering twice - with the same grade of solder (medium) instead of extra hard- on both sides.
    I watched Nancy Hamilton video about fusing argentium, in which she turns the piece (after letting it cool enough so it doesn't fall apart) and heats the portion of the pieces that was previously resting on the soldering block. This gave me the idea that only the top side of my bracelet gets sufficient heat to take solder. The bottom was usually too cool and therefore had not appropriately adhered resulting in a weakened joint. So I flipped my piece, soldered again and it's as sturdy as it should!!
    Hurrah!

That's really interesting, Thank you! I had to order the Argentium from Birmingham branch and asked for 940, but somehow they send the 935 instead, which might explain my problems!