Thread: solder thickness

Default solder thickness

Can anyone explain why solder is not supplied already thin? Why do we have to hammer it out?
    It's stupid.
    writing this with seven fingers and number eight going black and out of action.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I very very rarely hammer Solder I just cut tiny pieces, even with Gold, most of my Solder is Argentium, which is only in wire form, very much easier to cut tiny pieces in that form

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I very very rarely hammer Solder I just cut tiny pieces, even with Gold, most of my Solder is Argentium, which is only in wire form, very much easier to cut tiny pieces in that form
    I’ve never hammered or rolled mine either Bob. I just divide up the strip and cut small pallions. It’s what I was taught and the one time I thinned it I couldn’t judge how much I needed and it was a disaster!

Mm, that's why we have a forum.
    I was taught to thin the strip in a mill, to make it easier to cut up.
    Then following advice here from James Miller, to divide it lengthwise into four or five strips for a distance of 20-30 mm using a saw.
    This allows you to cut across with fine shears giving neat pallions on demand. Dennis.

I’ve always cut up the length with snips as you describe but never thinned. I don’t think we had a rolling mill in the dept or more likely they didn’t deem it necessary

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve always cut up the length with snips as you describe but never thinned. I don’t think we had a rolling mill in the dept or more likely they didn’t deem it necessary
    I was taught to bash out with hammer. All good until today...
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk