Thread: How far do you go?

Default How far do you go?

If a client gives you a piece of jewellery with a specific job to do, do you just do that or do you do other work that wasn't asked for?

I've had 2 rings now that have come back rather different from how they went. Different jewellers.

One was a garnet and moonstone ring which needed a garnet replacing. The jeweller decided that the moonstone needed repolishing so just did it. The ring looked significantly different and not actually the better for it. The cloudy whiteness of the stone looked far nicer than the bluish transparency of the highly polished state.

The second was a ring that was made for me. It was admittedly very badly made in 22ct gold, but it had been like that for 40 years. Three square cut tourmalines but the 3rd one was a bit skew whiff ( think the 3rd star of Orions belt) I sent it in to be resized and it came back with the wonky third setting now perfectly straight! I was actually devastated. It's no longer "my" ring and I rarely wear it any more.

So did these jewellers over step the mark? It has made me very wary of sending anything to be done to someone else.

I believe you need to make your wishes clear from the outset, I repaired a silver ring for the nurse at my GP, broken band bent out of shape and loose stones lots of scratches etc., I said I can straighten it as well but she made it clear just repair the shank. I repaired the shank tightened up the stones and clean it, all was well.

I remember Mum having a gold and amethyst drop necklace Dad had given her many moons ago. After he died she wanted the very fine chain repaired so I took it to the local jeweller. What I wasn’t that aware of Dad had scratched a love message in Polish on the stem of the pendant .
    The jeweller of course had given ot a polish and polished out what he thought were scratches . She was heartbroken and I got the blame

Sad story Caroline, sentimentality can be so well ingrained. Hope you managed to get it re-engraved.

I guess the jeweller thought they were doing the right thing, I would make it very clear what you actually want doing and even specify no polishing or re alignment etc, I remember making a shaped wedding band and had to size the engagement ring first. which I did and made it round again which you do. then proceeded to make the wedding band match the newly resized ring. but oh noooooo the customer liked the ring squashed and I had ruined everything. If it had been aware of this then things could of been explained better about the process. whos right and who's wrong I don't know but I learned that communication is the key to it!

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    Sad story Caroline, sentimentality can be so well ingrained. Hope you managed to get it re-engraved.
    He died when I was 26, a very long time ago. He’s scratched it in but she knew it was there. I’d never thought of engraving back then but I guess it wouldn’t have been the same. I have the necklace now but I’ve never worn it

Must be hard to wear something that brings back sadness and upset, easier buried in a box and forgotten about. Maybe re-engraving with something new could refresh the love and vigour small inanimate objects can carry … N

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    He died when I was 26, a very long time ago. He’s scratched it in but she knew it was there. I’d never thought of engraving back then but I guess it wouldn’t have been the same. I have the necklace now but I’ve never worn it
    Oh that's sad. That is something that can't be recreated.

I've just been asked to repair a piece for a customer. I have asked if they want me to clean and polish it. It is actually in desperate need of it but I won't do it without asking.