Thread: Dimensions of bar and hoop catch.

Default Dimensions of bar and hoop catch.

I recently had feedback on a necklace I sold. The catch, a bar and hoop, keeps coming undone. Is there a rule about how long the bar should be in relation to the hoop? This is a photo of the offending piece.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220923_154532_compress82.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	13401

I think the smaller you can make the hoop the better. I have had probs with them I try not to use them if I can.

The rule is that when the bar is moved to the right or left, as far as it will go, it still can't fall through the ring.
    In this case, though the measurements appear to be correct, the slope of the half jump ring is the probable cause. A complete largish jump ring would have been less interesting, but prevented it.

Jiggle the assembly in your hand for a while and see it come undone. In fact Sods Law says that if there is any chance of it coming undone it will. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-10-2022 at 08:44 PM.

I was taught that the bar should be at least 1.5 the diameter of the hoop

The bar does seem short when you have to remember how much it swivels in wear especially when the pendant is light. The drag of a heavy pendant is often a help but I tend to curve the bar away from the ring so that it doesn’t look so long and it’s also pulling against the ring if you get me

Thankyou for all the excellent replies. I've offered to replace the catch and chain for free.