Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bezel strip height

Default Bezel strip height

I am about to set a 3.5mm high oval turquoise cab into a bezel cup. It seems that the recommended height of the walls of the cup should be about a third of the height, 1.16 mm…….In your experience is this too little? It seems a terribly small margins to hold that cab in!
    David.

If it’s a bezel cup and not a tube have you remembered to include the base plate of the setting in your measurements?

This is a home made as it were cup using 0.3mm x 3 mm fine silver strip. I have reduced the height down to 2.5mm already!
    David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely it depends on the cut of the stone?

The bezel should be high enough to reach a fraction above where the stone starts to curve inwards.

I read that a cab either a high domed one or a flatish one only needed 1/3 of its height. Seems very little and having made the ring, the cup, soldered it all together, polished it. I don’t want to mess the whole lot up!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The consensus here seems to be that straight sided stones need to be set as usual unless you use glue

https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/bezel-...-cabs/43638/11

Thanks. Looking with a magnifying glass the sides of the cab start to curve in at about 1.5mm so I will have just about 1mm to “fold” over. Wish me luck! If you see bolts of lightening from the Essex Suffolk borders tomorrow morning you will know I have failed! Think a drop of epoxy might be in order as well! Thanks for your input.
    David

Good luck 1mm is about right I'd have thought

You may also hear similar from Bristol where I'm failing miserably at the first stage with a coffin shaped stone. I can't even get the bezel wire to sit nicely against the stone let along solder and set!

So far its Cab 20, Caroline 0.

I'd give up and prong set but I really don't want to

Well Caro, all went well. No lightening bolts! Hope equally you had success.

Congratulations!

Not so great here - I had an "Emma"* moment with my anticlastic ring this morning and the solder joint split! Fixable but annoying.

(You will have needed to watch the last series of All that Glitters" to get the reference...)