Thread: Problems refilling butane torch...newbie question

Default Problems refilling butane torch...newbie question

Hi guys and girls,

I am just venturing in the area of soldering and I am stuck trying to refill my butane torch ... it worked fine for a while although the torch was always empty very quickly. Then suddenly it was splattering like crazy even though the can cannot have been full (I was bleeding it before refill).

I did fill the torch incorrectly a few times (not holding it upside down while filling), but I thought bleeding it would take care of that?

I was trying to add a link to a video but it seems as a newbie I am not allowed, so please go to my Youtube Channel "Samakani Kalumata" (easy to find via Google), the newest listed video there is the one showing the issue.

Do you have any advice? Maybe the butane canister is faulty but it would be weird as I cannot see any defects and as I said it worked fine before.

Many thanks,

Corinna

Well Corinna, That splattering indicates that your torch is full, or that the valve is blocked, or that the nozzle of your gas canister is a bad fit.
    Here in UK, we buy cigarette lighter gas for small torches like that, and inside the lid is a selection of adapters, so that you can select the best fit.
    One indication that a torch is filling well, is that the body becomes very cold.

I also have doubts that the little torch shown on YouTube could give out enough heat to solder jewellery, but I might be wrong. Dennis

That torch looks like it would have a small tank which means it will fill quickly then overflow to show it’s full if all is well with.

@Dennis, I doubt that the splattering is due to the torch being full as I was bleeding it very thoroughly before filling. And it splatters anyways. It did work previously without all that splattering (although there was always a minor amount but nothing like currently), so I doubt it is the nozzle. The can only came with one nozzle so I cannot exchange it, but I am going to be a new canister of gas. Maybe the nozzle became damaged somehow?

And also, yes the smaller torch shown in the video is only good for small jobs and low-heat solder. It failed on everything else.

@nicks creative stuff Are you talking about the tiny torch or the medium sized one?