Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas setup indoors

I remember the main difference between propane and butane regarding safety indoors is that propane is heavier than air and should never be stored indoors in case of serious leaks.
    A large propane discharge will accumulate in the lowest point of a property especially dangerous in the boating industry. Butane is different being lighter than air any leak will rise and disperse more easily. Propane is preferred for torch use because it burns slightly hotter and stored under high pressure. This is why old-fashioned cabinet heaters on wheels designed to accommodate a 13 kg bottle within is for indoor use and have a blue butane regulator attached that is not compatible with propane …🔥 … Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 30-09-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Butane is about 2x denser than air...

My understanding is that all forms of LPG are heavier than air, I have because of this discussion being revived again contacted my insurance company and there is no issue so long as it is stored in approved containers, and has the appropriate approved fittings,
    clearly different counties have different requirements.

After some Internet reading looks like I got it all wrong … butane is also heavier than air also hotter than propane.

Yes, in my nautical days we always had to “flush out” the bilges to clear any gases. I saw a number of boats with deck-heads lifted and potholes blown out!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk