Thread: Second hand rolling mill - loosing springs

Default Second hand rolling mill - loosing springs

Hey!
    I recently bought a second-hand rolling mill and turns out it has no springs to control the height between the rollers. How do I figure out what spring I need? Are there any reads for me to help figure this out or I just try all possible combinations of springs I can get my hands on? Also, I'm thinking to take it for someone to grind the rollers with a lathe. Will this work out fine for me?

Dear Lucas.

I'm sorry to say you've bought a bit of a turkey. By the time you've trialled and errored suitable compression springs, and paid for the rollers to be re- ground, you will have spent more than you would for a basic new one.
    If possible send it back for re-fund. If it is a Durston, they might consider refurbishment. Otherwise I would dump it and put it down to experience. Dennis.

These were my thoughts exactly!
    Anyways, I still went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of springs, and the first ones I tried worked Just had to trim it a little. Now the only problem is what to do with the rest of the springs, maybe there is some use in them while making designs

You're lucky to have that kind of hardware store nearby. Here in London its mostly online, so its much more difficult to sort out. Dennis.