Thread: Filters, masks…..

Default Filters, masks…..

How many of us use extractors, masks and filters when soldering polishing, filing etc?
    Does it depend upon the amount of these tasks we perform, the environment , whether in a larger well ventilated room, a cupboard etc? …..and of course what chemicals we may be using?
    I will admit I don’t or very rarely use any of these and I suppose I “make” on average every other day.
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never have, except for acrylics, which create a lot of fine dust.
    For those I wear a mask, and attach our home vacuum cleaner to the band saw and the polisher hood.

For metal work you should nevertheless work in a ventilated area, not a small cupboard, where toxic fumes can build up. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 17-09-2022 at 11:45 AM.

I have a dust extractor on my polisher, I don't wear a mask other than in the shed some times when wood working as I can't run the dust extractor at night neighbours would tar and feather me.

Polishing, grinding, spraying, sanding - anything where I'm kicking up a lot of dust (or droplets) - Versaflo.
    Less dust (e.g. bandsaw) - filter mask.
    Filing? No. Large particles, not airborne.
    Soldering, rubber wheels at the bench - extraction.

I still need to get a welding helmet that works with the Versaflo.

The problem with things like the Versaflo is that because they're expensive, they seem like a luxury. And by the time you get around to buying one it may be too little too late...

Interesting replies…..I always have the intention to put on a dust mask when doing anything that creates visible dust, but impatience usually wins……after all it is only for a few minutes……Or is it? I was appalled last week when I had some grinding wheel work to do, followed by some polishing. This was in my so called garage which has never had a car in it, with a domestic door open just by my side. When I went inside the house my wife commented on the dust on my face. I then blew my nose and was astonished at the stain on my handkerchief. The dust must have at least partially entered my lungs…….. Then we have fumes of the various chemicals we use and the effect these can have on tissues in the respiratory tract.
    I talked with a friend who is a retired pathologist and has seen deposits in lungs. He read me the riot act!
    From now on a dust mask at the least if creating visible dust and some “forced ventilation / open window” if using chemicals.
    Don’t want to be a scaremonger but……..
    David.

Even though my Dustmaster has extraction I’ve always worn a mask or scarf and a scarf round my head. We were a bonnie lot at ECA. Don’t use rouge so much now so not the usual red layer. Grinding I would also be wearing eye protection on top of my glasses, sometimes when polishing now depending on the mops but more than before.
    I should be more careful when soldering.
    The damage is long done with the amount of resin, Perspex and ivory dust back in the 80s. H&as was not taught at college and eye protection was discouraged when polishing as ‘it would cloud up the glasses’. I’ve no idea how long the bottle of Optrex had been in the first aid cupboard but I don’t think it was replaces every 3 months as now. However it might have been another of Hugh’s daily tasks that we didn’t even know were happening after we walked out the door. Definitely need a technician sometimes!
    Last edited by CJ57; 17-09-2022 at 06:53 PM.

I'm a lot more cautious since being so ill earlier this year - especially as there's a possibility that something environmental (as the consultants called it) may have been a contributing factor. I normally do all chemical/soldering/hot work in a fully ventilated room, but that's less easy in the winter, so I've finally got round to asking my husband to install the extraction system that has been sitting in a box for the last 10+ years. Fortunately, we had a new boiler fitted last year that involved moving a vent, so we have a spare flue to use for the tubing.

I'm also not doing anything that creates dust, as I can't wear a mask yet (my breathing isn't good enough to be restricted), so there's a lot of hand polishing going on! Hence my putting my polishing motor and extractor up for sale!

So now we have two distinct camps. Those that are very recognisant of the risks and potential problems and those that almost discount the lot…..If nothing else, bringing the subject up has possibly made us think about the problems and the actions that we can take or do take. I am certainly going to do some thinking……..and acting?
    David