Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sievert professional with 3 “burners” or Smiths little torch?

Default Sievert professional with 3 “burners” or Smiths little torch?

I have used the Sievert with propane since the beginning of my “journey” but I can’t fail to notice that the Smiths little torch with Oxygen / gas is used by many people. As ever advice and opinions requested please!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smiths little torch like comparing Chalk and cheese the little torch has more heat or less heat more precise flame therefore more precise placement of lame, results in more control over all, once you you use a Little torch over Sievert type you will never go back
    the Sievert will only ever get fired up for really large annealing jobs.

Thanks China….now I believe you can use different gases? Is this true and if so what would you recommend? One other point comes to mind….my workshop is in my house….safety etc. Any comments there?
    David

I use Oxy/LPG mainly because LPG is cleaner and for jewellery you not need the the extra heat produced by Acetylene, I use Acetylene for welding etc. in my garage, many people in your part of the world are using oxygen generators, they are still too expensive here. My jewellery workshop is also part of house, If you follow correct procedure this type of modern equipment is extremely safe I have been using oxy/acet. equipment since I was 12 years old ( lots of years ) and never had a problem.

Hi David, I absolutely adore my SLT One of my most treasured purchases. I mostly use it for smelting and casting because of its concentrated heat. I use a supplier called hobby gas for my oxygen no rental on the bottle just a deposit. New regulators with flashback arrestors is a good idea for safety as well as a bottle of commercial leak detector spray for when reconnecting fittings. Oxygen bottles can be tall and slender so they need attaching or tethering to something to prevent them accidentally falling over. I also use shaded or smoky safety glasses when smelting the light seems to be so much brighter with oxygen and propane. I think the main danger comes from having a bottle of propane indoors however when mixing with oxygen you seem to use a lot less of it so you can probably get away with a much smaller bottle of propane .… all the best … Nick

Thanks Nick.
    As to the bottles…..I have seen kits with very small bottles, only about 30cms high or so. Are these in your opinion useless in terms of endurance or ok for small quantity /though put?

My insurer had a hissy fit when I ran the idea of the SLT past them so checking your insurance is a good place to start. They are perfectly OK with my Sievert running on propane.

My tutor warned me that the SLT goes through oxygen cylinders fast so I would probably want one of the things that captures ambient oxygen which is another big upfront expense. I've used the SLT in class for melting and casting but to be honest I'm happy with my Sievert for everything else. Even if my insurer would allow it I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

I think mini bottles would be a good start, some suppliers sell counterfeit torches with these bottles that are probably worth avoiding best sticking with an original SLT.
    They come with five interchangeable nozzles with varying gas consumptions, from a tiny cigarette lighter size flame to a great big ferocious foot long flame. If you want to pay extra you can also purchase an even bigger bud nozzle, this is the one I use the most for casting. The larger nozzles will probably guzzle these mini bottles very quickly if used regularly.
    The SLT is great for working in tight corners and multi temperature solder jobs but for something like chain making I would definitely revert back to a one click instant lighting refillable butane torch for speed and convenience. My SLT is a great companion to my other torches having a garage as a workshop allows me to use a 13kg propane bottle with three different torches attached. By using brass T joint manifolds I can run my SLT in parallel with two Sievert type torches all connected to one propane bottle … Nic
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 29-08-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicks creative stuff View Post
    I think mini bottles would be a good start some suppliers sell counterfeit torches with these bottles, probably worth avoiding and sticking with an original SLT.
    They come with five interchangeable nozzles with varying gas consumptions, from a tiny cigarette lighter size flame to a great big ferocious foot long flame. If you want to pay extra you can also purchase an even bigger bud nozzle, this is the one I use the most for casting. The larger nozzles will probably guzzle these mini bottles very quickly if used regularly.
    The SLT isn’t a “one trick pony” it’s great for working in tight corners and multi temperature solder jobs but for something like chain making I would definitely revert back to a one click instant lighting refillable butane torch for speed and convenience. My SLT is a great companion to my other tortures, having a garage as a workshop allows me to use a 13kg propane bottle with three different torches attached. By using brass T joint manifolds I can run my SLT in parallel with two Sievert type tortures all connected to one propane bottle … Nick
    Amused by the auto-correct here! I found my first beginner's torch indeed an instrument of torture!

Sorry about that … I am very dyslexic … totally reliant on voice recognition … find it very hard to spot mistakes … never used written words until a few years ago and now totally reliant on modern technology … Nick