Thread: Hi there

Talking Hi there

Hi Everyone,
    A very rusty, out of practice player-with-silver here for the 1st time!
    Could someone refresh my grey cells please? A friend has a huge moon stone ring which, due to arthritis, needs to be made quite a bit bigger, so it can be worn. I know moonstones are fragile, so am presuming that, as I will need to add metal, the stone needs to be removed first? Also, I have a chipped moonstone from a scraped piece, which seems to have water(?) in it. Could that be drilled to remove the liquid? It does detract from its beauty.
    Any advice will be most welcome!! Thank you.

Hi Stephanie, and welcome to the forum.

Yes the moonstone will need to be unset, before resizing the ring. Then add a piece of suitable wire, slightly too thick on the outer side of the shank, and reduce after soldering.

If the other stone has an inclusion, it is more likely to be air. Attempts at drilling it are likely to cause bits to fall off.

Any other questions, just say. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Stephanie, and welcome to the forum.

Yes the moonstone will need to be unset, before resizing the ring. Then add a piece of suitable wire, slightly too thick on the outer side of the shank, and reduce after soldering.

If the other stone has an inclusion, it is more likely to be air. Attempts at drilling it are likely to cause bits to fall off.

Any other questions, just say. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,
    Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated. I can proceed with a bit more confidence now.
    TC Stevie