Thread: Blue Whale test piece in aluminium and Efcolor enamel

Default Blue Whale test piece in aluminium and Efcolor enamel

Just trying my hand at smithing.

The attached photo shows a figure of a Blue Whale. I've made it in aluminium, in case of disaster and wasting silver sheet. (5cm long)

I've used Efcolor. I do a bit of watercolour and applied the Efcolor powder with a very fine watercolour brush. I've found that less is more.

Aluminium would actually be good for pendants or earrings, it doesn't look too bad and is light weight. I fired the piece three times in a domestic oven.

Comments welcome.

Hi Scotview, welcome to the forum
    That’s a lot of detail in a small piece and seems to have worked well. Usually enlarged photos show up all the flaws! Wondering how you managed to post a pic on your first post, that’s unusual.
    I’d like to see what it looks like to scale.I’ve wondered about Efcolor and the colours seem very good.
    Aluminium isn’t something I’d use and given the size of the piece you’d now be able to do it in silver without too much expense depending on what you intend to do with the design

Hi scotview, and welcome to the forum. Very nice piece of enamelling. Now to expand your skills by making it wearable, or mounting it as a decoration. Dennis.

Thanks for the kind remarks.
    Our granddaughter liked the whale so my wife mounted it as a wee gift. See below :

Love it! I've yet to take the plunge and try enamelling.

Now what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Love it! I've yet to take the plunge and try enamelling.

Now what's next?
    I’ve always wondered about Efcolor as it only gets fired in a household oven. I wonder if it’s long lasting for jewellery

Not sure how to copy a comment on this site.

I chose efcolor because it didn't require an expensive investment in an oven. I think it gives a good feel for what real, glass enamel can do.

Efcolor seems to be quite robust and has a hard, scratch free finish. I think if using silver, the question with both efcolor or glass mediums, is more one of adhesion to an oxidising silver surface.

Obviously it doesn't have the professional properties of real enamel but it is quite good and the transparent colours are quite vivid. I found it pleasing to transfer my watercouring skills to enamelling using fine brushes.

Please beware that I am just a beginner and you should take my comments with a pinch of salt !!

Quote Originally Posted by scotview View Post
    Not sure how to copy a comment on this site.

I chose efcolor because it didn't require an expensive investment in an oven. I think it gives a good feel for what real, glass enamel can do.

Efcolor seems to be quite robust and has a hard, scratch free finish. I think if using silver, the question with both efcolor or glass mediums, is more one of adhesion to an oxidising silver surface.

Obviously it doesn't have the professional properties of real enamel but it is quite good and the transparent colours are quite vivid. I found it pleasing to transfer my watercouring skills to enamelling using fine brushes.

Please beware that I am just a beginner and you should take my comments with a pinch of salt !!
    It’s reply with quote if you want to answer something specific.
    My husband took up glass enamels with a kiln. He’s done a couple of pieces for me but it didn’t turn out as I expected or wanted as his poetic licence took over. Don’t tell him I said that! I don’t have any interest in enamels but I would like more colour options but I’ll stick to jesmonite resins for the moment.