Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering gold filled to sterling silver

As already mentioned, rings are subject to wear and bashing, so that rules out plating, and also bought in gold balls, which are mostly painfully thin, and so liable to dent, or even collapse.

I think some hand made ornament made from re-claimed gold could be the answer. Alternatively a gemstone, set in a gold collet, which only requires a small piece of wire rolled sideways in a mill to create.

Work it out with copper wire first. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Necessity is the mother of invention! This morning 9ct gold was £17.31 a gm! Yes I will ask if she has any bits of her own I can use. I like the idea of the bead. Drilled through the ring then soldered on the inside? Still bit expensive I guess for her! I have some bits of gold…..links of a totally knackered wrist chain, but I think these having been donated by my wife are strictly for family consumption!……hers!
    The copper wouldn’t shine up if polished regularly?
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Polishing regularly is not something a woman wants to do with a ring in daily use. If she’s happy for it to go black then that’s her choice. Don’t you dare use your gold for someone outside the family or it’ll always be expected. Make a smaller ball maybe

Yes Dennis…..at the risk of being excommunicated by my wife I used 4 links of her totally worn out chain to make 2 decent sized balls. Has worked well……..!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Polishing regularly is not something a woman wants to do with a ring in daily use. If she’s happy for it to go black then that’s her choice. Don’t you dare use your gold for someone outside the family or it’ll always be expected. Make a smaller ball maybe
    Too late ! Done it! But the recipient will pay! (If she wants it!) I must do some “junk shop” searching purchase to find some more……or pay the price!

I am now looking for a reliable non acid gold verifying kit as I don’t fancy walking about with nitric acid in my pocket!……any advice?

I realise it's too late, but red/jeweller's brass works well for this sort of thing (and tarnishes far less than copper). Alternatively, I've had good results using single hole gold beads. Carefully saw or snip them open from the hole to about the mid point and open up, then solder on top of a silver blob.

My favourite source for odd bits of gold scrap is always earrings and earwires, where one has broken or been lost, leaving a singleton ripe for harvest!

Never too late….another idea and source!
    Thanks
    David

Just a suggestion if you need some scrap - see if one of those 'we buy your gold' shops will sell you some of their scrap at a reasonable price. A friendly jeweller might have some scrap around too - too small a parcel to send to the melt
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    As already mentioned, rings are subject to wear and bashing, so that rules out plating, and also bought in gold balls, which are mostly painfully thin, and so liable to dent, or even collapse.

I think some hand made ornament made from re-claimed gold could be the answer. Alternatively a gemstone, set in a gold collet, which only requires a small piece of wire rolled sideways in a mill to create.

Work it out with copper wire first. Dennis.
    Great idea. Thanks Dennis.