Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering gold filled to sterling silver

Default Soldering gold filled to sterling silver

Is it possible , practical, to solder a gold filled small orb to a larger piece of silver…..or will the gold melt off the orb and spoil the whole thing? I have been asked to solder a 9 ct gold orb of about 4gm to a silver ring. When I explained the cost of the gold…..after a big intake of air I was asked for cheaper possibilities. I did suggest copper but that wasn’t received with enthusiasm!
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about, a Silver orb easy to solder then have the orb plated, at a jeweller who is set up with plating equipment

Thinking of the wear aspect. Gold plating seems to wear off rather quickly and as an orb on a ring would get a lot of friction against clothes etc.

That’s what I was about to say but you’d need to warn her that on a ring the plating will wear probably quite quickly if it’s worn all the time

Hmm yes! I think this ring is planned to be worn most of the time! I have made one using copper and I think it looks great!!!

Ooops two photos! You see there are to be 2 balls both at about 3 gm which at the current price of gold would be a bit eye watering!

The copper will tarnish with products. Have you looked to see if you can get a gold bead with only one drill hole or if 2 solder a silver wire through and make it a decorative feature. Just thinking out loud as it’ll probably get bashed with daily wear. Have you priced the gold? Has she maybe got a bit of scrap you can ball? Everybody has one earring or several lying about!

Necessity is the mother of invention! This morning 9ct gold was £17.31 a gm! Yes I will ask if she has any bits of her own I can use. I like the idea of the bead. Drilled through the ring then soldered on the inside? Still bit expensive I guess for her! I have some bits of gold…..links of a totally knackered wrist chain, but I think these having been donated by my wife are strictly for family consumption!……hers!
    The copper wouldn’t shine up if polished regularly?
    David

Would something like this work drill hole in ring and gently peen over the post, (I did not say this but maybe a touch of epoxy)
    https://www.thejewellers.com/9ct-gol...rrings-1600256

Crafty!