Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hallmark possible on a chain

Default hallmark possible on a chain

Hi

I searched the forum but could not find an answer but sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a commission to make a 36" continuous chain (no clasp, just straight over the head job) on which will be threaded two rings already owned by the client. This puts me over the hallmark limit which I'm registered for but have not done before.

I would like to hallmark the chain, not the rings, because I did not make them and the mark will include my maker symbol, but unsure whether its possible for a hallmark to be that tiny.

I have bought a belcher chain, width 2.56 (curteis code is SMAX99) - I know laser marking can be 0.5mm high, but how wide is it? Will an individual chain link be wide enough? I am really nervous about sending this off not having followed the right procedure and ending up incurring a bunch of extra costs - it is looking expensive as I only have 2 items to send at the moment. I did email the assay office but not sure if I explained myself correctly.

Maybe I should include a little bar / larger jump ring or something to provide space for the hallmark? I really wanted it to be perfectly continuous though. What would you do?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone!

Thanks in advance :-)

Vic

Why don’t you phone your assay office for advice? You can buy or make a hallmarking tag that’s a complementary shape to the chain as part of the design if they can’t hallmark the chain but I know jewellers who have earring posts hallmarked

I have had ear posts stamped with my hallmark they are made from .8mm wire you could specify separate links I guess or make the link from hallmarked wire you join the chain with, you would have to send the chain so they can see it at the assay office. If you can talk the customer into having a clasp which are cheap enough in silver and the chain alone is under the 7.8 grams which it looks like it would be just as long as you sell it without the rings on it wont need halmarking which will save you £50 odd in costs.

Once the rings are added to a solid chain and the chain soldered does that not mean the rings become part of the weight as they can’t be removed. A chain with a clasp means that the rings are removable components which is completely different

Hi thanks both for your replies �� - I think the client prefers the idea of it being a continuous seamless chain as do I, something symbolic about circles in circles as the rings are special and so I don’t want to ask him to compromise on something he intends to be heirloom / worn every day - the weight of the chain even without the rings is over the hallmark limit as it’s so long - I’m starting to think I’ll have to add a bar or tag for the hallmark which I guess is ok but spoils what I had in my head … my assay office (London) don’t accept incoming calls and starting to feel awkward on the email w them as they are misunderstanding what I’m asking - ah well this is still better than my old office job tho ha

What are the rings made from ?

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    What are the rings made from ?
    Hi Josef - they are stamped 925 but not hallmarked as each is just under the weight limit - the client assured me they're deffo silver - I have been looking at putting a very minimalist bar on the chain for the hallmark and actually it looks ok, so I think I will do that :-) thanks for all the feedback I was really unsure where to go w it this morning and think I've got a solution now :-)

Nice one thats good

Hi Verbena,
    As you are buying the chain from Curteis, speak to them, as can also hallmark items for you. I've had many items hallmarked onto .8mm wire before now and it comes out fine, but you might need a magnifying glass to see it. Having said that, if you still want to have them hallmarked, then I'd email the London Assay Office asking them to call you back - they should at least do that.

I'd probably get the rings checked too. There are lots of 925 stamped items out there that are not 925! I'm sure they are 925, but I'd check if it was something I'm doing for a customer.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well.
    Last edited by Petal; 10-08-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post

I'd probably get the rings checked too. There are lots of 925 stamped items out there that are not 925! I'm sure they are 925, but I'd check if it was something I'm doing for a customer.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well.
    Yes I would test the rings too before sending it off. The 925 stamp worthless on its own. If they are not hallmark quality themselves then you would need to check your assay office policy on mixed metal submissions if you still need a hallmark.