Hi

I searched the forum but could not find an answer but sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a commission to make a 36" continuous chain (no clasp, just straight over the head job) on which will be threaded two rings already owned by the client. This puts me over the hallmark limit which I'm registered for but have not done before.

I would like to hallmark the chain, not the rings, because I did not make them and the mark will include my maker symbol, but unsure whether its possible for a hallmark to be that tiny.

I have bought a belcher chain, width 2.56 (curteis code is SMAX99) - I know laser marking can be 0.5mm high, but how wide is it? Will an individual chain link be wide enough? I am really nervous about sending this off not having followed the right procedure and ending up incurring a bunch of extra costs - it is looking expensive as I only have 2 items to send at the moment. I did email the assay office but not sure if I explained myself correctly.

Maybe I should include a little bar / larger jump ring or something to provide space for the hallmark? I really wanted it to be perfectly continuous though. What would you do?

Hopefully this makes sense to someone!

Thanks in advance :-)

Vic