Thread: Polish help - which mops or compounds

Default Polish help - which mops or compounds

Hi guys
    I have successfully made my 2 wedding bands melted formed and soldered and finished with help here thanks -
    I have made my bride a small 9k heart with the left over gold and polished the same way as the rings however I am not 100% happy with the finish very fine scratches and I was wondering if anyone can give me the best polishing method for 18k and 9k gold or send me a link for a post here or youtube .
    I have several small rotary type tools (Dremel style) also 3 x 6” mops I use on grinder or drill press . I have some jewellery rouge which I use on silver .
    Question - what’s the best mops to use small or large -
    What compounds to use starting from beginning - or is just the rouge enough -
    I usually sand up to 1000 or 2000g before start the polishing to make sure all scratches gone first but still seem to have very fine scratches so maybe need a fine compound - suggestions welcome and thanks
    Mark

Well done so far then. By using Micro Mesh sheets (you don't need all of them, just 3 or 4 grades), you can get pretty near scratch free, and then finish with rouge on a cloth, or a soft cotton mop on the Dremel, or a 5"mop on your other machines.
    There are also Luxi compounds, but only use one or two. Be light handed, or you will spoil the profile of your rings and make them look wonky.
    A common accident is that rings suddenly catch a mop and go flying, so we use a hood to catch them and never apply to the mop below the level of the spindle.

https://www.google.com/search?client...cromesh+sheets
    https://www.google.com/search?client...shing+Compound.
    When finishing with rouge always use a pristine mop. Dennis

The best answer I can give is for you to get hold of masterpolisher Stephen Goldsmith's book 'polishing and finishing for jewellers and silversmiths'. You're getting a lifetime of experience from someone who is a master of the guild of polishers.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi Denis

Thanks so much for the reply I will have a look into those micro mesh sheets and the other
    Compounds and go from there - I figured I didn’t have the correct compound or mops so I will check that out thanks .
    Mark

Hi pearlescene

Thanks for that tip on the book I will have a look at it and see if I can get a copy
    I didn’t even know that polishing was a master craft by itself awesome
    Thanks Mark

Hi pearlescene

Thanks for that tip on the book I will have a look at it and see if I can get a copy
    I didn’t even know that polishing was a master craft by itself awesome
    Thanks Mark