Thread: Sterling Baby Cup

Default Sterling Baby Cup

Hello- I'm new to forum and will admit I know little about you craft. I have a question regarding sterling silver work and hope I can get an option or two. I have a new Grand Daughter on the way and in tradition I will be sending her a sterling baby cup. Somehow I always have hair brained ideas that make things more difficult. Could you please advise if this is feasible or practical ? I would like to take a plain Jane Towle #778 cup (qilded interior) and have sterling silver initials soldered to it in place of engraving initials. The letter are 5/8 tall and about 1mm thick. I assume the thin letters/charm would be able to be bent in the radius of the cup and soldered. If need be- the charms could be sanded thinner. Are there any pitfalls that will arise from this procedure ? Is it best to obtain sterling silver letters rather than "silver" or "plated" ? Finding 5/8" tall letters is difficult- lots of smaller/larger but almost zero in 5/8". I have attached photos of the cup and a possible initial -there will be 3 applied. What should I expect to pay a local jeweler to accomplish this ? Many thanks for looking.

Regards
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Towle 778.jpg   Celtic B2.jpg  
    Last edited by Sto; 28-07-2022 at 06:23 PM.

It is feasible if the cup and letters are made of sterling silver, but would need quite a lot of equipment to bring it off. In the hands of a beginner, it would more than likely end up a complete mess. Also the heat needed would strip off the gilding.
    A more modest project, could be to curve the letters, solder wire prongs onto the backs, drill the cup and rivet the letters in place.
    Acquiring jewellery making skills takes years of practice, and dedication. So my advice would be: get it hand engraved, and plant a tree. Dennis.

Hi Steve
    As Dennis said soldering would remove the gilding. I only saw on rereading that you don’t intend to do this yourself which is good! I feel if you want your granddaughter to use the cup then riveting wouldn’t work but if it’s just a keepsake then that would be different.
    You’d probably be better to talk it through with your local jeweller as you sound as if you have one in mind

Thank you so much folks- I was wondering how the gilding would take the heat- Now I know. As I said - I have a way of making stuff difficult. I guess it will be engraved. I did take one course of jewelry making in college but this was out of my wheelhouse. When the first Grand Daughter came I was lucky enough to find a new Lunt ABC cup which was just beautiful. I have looked around for another and only located one but at $450 which will not happen. #2 G.D will have to settle for less.

Again - I thank you all - saved me from a disaster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPB Cup2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	13370

Often advice isn’t so easily accepted so thanks for listening to us. I hope you can find some nice engraving to make it special. Caroline