Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things learnt from my event & feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Lindyloo View Post
    Jules, I am very interested to know what kind of piece you had priced at £39, because I don't find that expensive in the least. What on earth was that woman on about? If I love a piece of handmade jewellery, I am quite willing to pay way more than £39 for it (when I am in the pink).
    when i priced my stuff up the cost of the stuff i had made so far, using the formula recommened on here, i was horrified even before adding labour, and the pieces were a darn sight more than that!
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hi Jules
    I feel like a bit of a fraud reading this because I had not a scrap of wisdom to offer to you when you were in need, but I wanted to let you know that what you have written has been massively helpful and inspirational to me (& I'm sure others).
    Thanks so much and really glad that it all went well for you
    J x

Mine would be expensive too Su. But I think the idea is that when you get more experienced, you get faster. So maybe until then, we might have to lower our hourly rate.
    Linda

Well done Jules, great feedback - it's always a steep learning curve when you first start doing craft fairs, but it looks like you have picked up some good tips and your confidence has grown. Roll on the next one, you'll be ready and chomping at the bit
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Mine would be expensive too Su. But I think the idea is that when you get more experienced, you get faster. So maybe until then, we might have to lower our hourly rate.
    yeah when i did add the labour i tried to imagine how long it would take me when i wasnt a noob, and cut it down dramatically, praying that i wasnt cutting it rediculously
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Jules, I am very interested to know what kind of piece you had priced at £39, because I don't find that expensive in the least. What on earth was that woman on about? If I love a piece of handmade jewellery, I am quite willing to pay way more than £39 for it (when I am in the pink).

I'll post a piccie of the £39 necklace tomorrow, when I've got a bit more time..off to bed now as we're up early tomorrow.

Love
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Hi Jules
    I feel like a bit of a fraud reading this because I had not a scrap of wisdom to offer to you when you were in need, but I wanted to let you know that what you have written has been massively helpful and inspirational to me (& I'm sure others).
    Thanks so much and really glad that it all went well for you
    J x
    Hear hear, i have certainly taken onboard the comments for when i finally pluck up the courage to sell. thanks jules
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Thanks for the feedback. It's always useful to hear other people's experiences. I think it depends on where you're selling as well. At a small local craft fair they won't pay as much as at a large expensive fair in somewhere like London that attracts more middle class customers. I'm always amazed as well at how much more people will pay in galleries.

As I'm just getting into pricing items all the information that has come up on the forum has been really useful to me - including the feedback provided on this thread.

Right now my hourly rate is only £2 on the grounds that I'm slow - especially when finishing the piece as I haven't quite got the hang of smoothing sharp ends (luckily it's my wrist that was scratched, not that of a customer). I hope that in time when my production rate picks up and my pieces are finished better I'll be able to increase the hourly rate slightly.

Thanks to all the forum members for all the helpful advice.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

I'm glad my feedback was useful, as I felt I waffled on a bit..

You guys that are scared of charging too much need to pay yourself at least the minimum wage, that's how I started. Once you have sold a few pieces, gauge their reaction, tell them its an introductory price, that way you can then justify putting your prices up when you've become a bit more established and are known a bit more in your local area. I started on the minimum wage and after a while gave myself a bit of a pay rise and put my prices up a little bit - it didn't put people off, they snapped up the stuff... go on give it a go and tell us how you get on.

(I'm supposed to be on 'holiday' whilst being at home), so will pop in later for a bit more of a chat.

love
    Jules