Thread: Yellow tarnish on sterling silver- how to store?

Default Yellow tarnish on sterling silver- how to store?

Hello everyone,

I have been making stock for the opening of my shop for the last 2 months or so and have noticed some of the older stock now just looks off, it seems to have turned from a bright polished silver to a light yellow colour, which is obviously unsalable. I've bought a silver polish mitt to try and add some shine back in. Does any one have any tips for storing sterling silver (925) jewellery whilst it's waiting to be sold, or any steps I could add to the making process to prevent this happening?

Thank you for your time

It’s has to be stored airtight and the anti tarnish tabs from Cookson seem to work quite well. If it’s only yellow I’d dip it in silver dip for a few seconds and then wash in soapy water with a bit of washing up liquid and dry thoroughly before storing away.Silver will never not tarnish and will probably require regular cleaning once it’s on display to keep it looking good
    Last edited by CJ57; 22-07-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Provided your display cases are reasonably airtight, strategically placed anti tarnish tabs will retard tarnishing there too. If you look on line, you can shop around for the best deal, and a pretty colour. Dennis.

Hi Milly, welcome to the forum.
    The best way to store jewellery is in ziplock bags and is what we keep our stock in when its not on display.. You can get discreet anti tarnish tabs from Town Talk that work well too. Once you have a shop you'll just have to regularly check jewellery and give it a polish now and again.
    Jules