Thread: In further search of asymmetry

Default In further search of asymmetry

An 18mm x 13mm lavender amethyst cab mounted on a 9cm length of 3mm silver wire. One problem was to find the ideal attachment points for the chain so it hung correctly as a necklace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 18-07-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Yes a common problem for all of us, which gets worse if the chain begins to creep around the neck.
    I'm hoping that you will run out of that chain soon, so that you can experiment with more feminine ones.
    Also try some square, or oval wires for a change, and use a number of different sized stones on a piece. Dennis.

So you have noticed the E00 chain! Yes I should “invest” in other chains! But there are so many!
    Stones…hmm I have made items using 2mm stones. Even one gypsy set ring. I will photograph that tomorrow. I will try to “spread my wings” a bit more ! Ruts are easy to fall into. But thanks for the nudge. It is easy to follow the line of least resistance.
    David.

Hi there, I like the idea of asymmetry. For a large part of my life I have designed and manufactured special purpose machines for industrial and scientific applications, they all have with 90 degree angles and corners and usually a fair amount of symmetry. It's great now to throw of the conventional and do something different. This is my latest creation

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#013   Andy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	13471
    I call them 'Tuttie Frutti' I have no idea if anyone will like them but I enjoyed making the beads and then the silver work.

With regards to getting the neckless to hang the way you want it to, if this was an engineering problem I'd simply say set out the neckless to hang the way that you want it to sit and then mark the back side of the chain in line with the centre of were the wearers back would be (i.e. on side of the chain will be longer that the other) and add a counter balance (weight) at that point on the back. You could further enhance the effect by hanging a short chain at the desired centre point and having some tiny weight on the end of the secondary chain. As the wearer shuffles about it should go some way towards maintaining the pendants attitude. It may be unconventional but try it and see if it works, you wont need a lot of weight and it be different. To try it out just tie a bit of string/cotton and maybe a little key to simulate the secondary chain. And if/when it works you could turn the counter weight into a decorative piece.

What ever you do keep on having fun doing it.

Regards . . Andy

Yes! Unconventional in a convention world….like it!
    Yes, if it is isn’t fun it’s not worth doing!

Lovely earrings, lovely colours. Perfect for a summer holiday on the Med. Dennis.