Thread: Help soldering gold wedding bands

Default Help soldering gold wedding bands

Hi guys
    Hope someone can help I am making own wedding bands one 3-4mm wife 18k for her one 9k 7mm wise for me I have both solders but 1st time I soldered I melted side of ring I figured I got everything to hot (torch nozzle was wrong) so now I have a cooksons butane Hans Held torch seems hot enough and yesterday cleaned well solder flowed perfect and seemed to work but after clean the solder melted just beside the join not in it -
    What’s am I doing wrong - I had this a couple times now solder flowing beside join not in it
    - the rings still perfect so I can try again - do I need to file off old solder or will this remelt and go in the join

Any help appreciated
    Thanks Mark

It sounds as if you heated one side, so the solder flowed along that edge, but not the other side, to draw the solder into the joint.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    I thought I heated the whole ring first then around the joint and finally a quick blast onto the solder - I am in experienced in soldering and most I have done before was silver only a few times -
    So are you saying I just didn’t get the heat on both sides of the joint equal . More heat on one side so flowed there ???
    Thanks

Yes solder follows the heat, but is less inclined to stay on one side if:

The joint is really tight,
    You heat the furthest place on the shank first,
    And your flame is not very sharp and roaring. You should not give a quick blast.
    Some jewellers use a soldering pick, to move the solder across, once flowing.

No need to file off the old solder, just add a little new on the joint, and try again. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-07-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Hi Denis

Thanks for the reply
    Ok I will try again - the joint is super clean and tight as used my cabinet makers trick pulling 800g sandpaper through joint so that is perfect - must be the heating thanks and I will try the pick also .
    Thanks Mark

I was taught (and it makes sense) to heat the shank opposite the joint first, to expand the ring and push the joint even tighter. You shouldn't aim to melt the solder with a quick blast. It will melt when the metal is at the right temperature and then flow across and in.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

"Cabinet Makers trick" did you make sure to clean the residue from the joint i.e. what ever the grit was on the "Sandpaper".