Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interlocking bangles

Heighington, a village just out of Lincoln

Default Interlocking bangles

I’ve been asked to make three interlocking bangles like a huge Russian wedding ring. I will be using 3.2x1.9mm oval sterling silver wire. The bangle sizer I have is numbered and she wants a No18, this equates to a 65.07mm diameter though it measures 65.4 with a calliper.
    My question is what formula do I use to get the right size, as an engineer teaching metal bending we used the formula pi x d+1/2t, with rings I normally use pi x d+t where d is diameter and t is thickness, pi being 3.142, I have assumed that for three interlocking bangles they should be pi multiplied by the diameter plus three thickness’ is this right, I don’t want to mess it up.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, I’ve bought enough metal to have two attempts just in case.

I always find it a bit of a mystery trying to work it mathematically. I did it in cad and got the wire length to be 232.7mm thats a 65mm diameter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-10 220516.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	13534.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-10 220049.jpg 
Views:	8 
ID:	13533

The pink line is the size circle I used the size of wire you specified. I would maybe make it up in 2mm copper wire first to check

Basically, the three intertwined hoops must pass over the folded hand, and must each be quite a bit larger than a single hoop.

There is no published formula, but if you take Joseph's suggestion and make it in copper first there'll be no disaster, but a starting point for further adjustment, if needed.

When I have done this for a finger, the size of the three rings used was three English sizes bigger than for a single ring. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Basically, the three intertwined hoops must pass over the folded hand, and must each be quite a bit larger than a single hoop.

There is no published formula, but if you take Joseph's suggestion and make it in copper first there'll be no disaster, but a starting point for further adjustment, if needed.

When I have done this for a finger, the size of the three rings used was three English sizes bigger than for a single ring. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis. Was just about to start on a 3 rings commission
    and you have answered my question before I could ask it!
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I always find it a bit of a mystery trying to work it mathematically. I did it in cad and got the wire length to be 232.7mm thats a 65mm diameter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-10 220516.jpg 
Views:	11 
ID:	13534.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-10 220049.jpg 
Views:	8 
ID:	13533

The pink line is the size circle I used the size of wire you specified. I would maybe make it up in 2mm copper wire first to check
    Wonderful, thank you, there must be a mathematic formula though, I did nearly get the same result as you, my calculation was the diameter of the first bangle plus three times the wire diameter multiplied by 3.142 the number i got was 223.7mm, I have ordered some copper wire and pass it through my roller and try your calculated length and see what size I get, if its then too big I can always reduce the bands. Thank you again, I will let you know what I get.

Dennis, oh no, if anyone would know I would have bet money and put my faith in you, I have read conflicting descriptions of making three band rings, I think I took your advice on that with the three sizes bigger, there was a different description and that was a multiplicand that ramped up exponentially depending on the number of rings, I can't find the reference now, I have ordered some thicker copper wire and will try to roll it down to more of an oval shape and attempt it as josef1 suggested, as always I thank you.

How weird is that. I've just acquired some bangle dies and am currently obsessed with making bangles!

I was just thinking of making an interlocking 3 band bangle myself yesterday and then this thread appears! Mine would be 60mm internal dimensions (wanders off to find calculator).

Thank you mathematical geniuses!

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    How weird is that. I've just acquired some bangle dies and am currently obsessed with making bangles!

I was just thinking of making an interlocking 3 band bangle myself yesterday and then this thread appears! Mine would be 60mm internal dimensions (wanders off to find calculator).

Thank you mathematical geniuses!
    I have just bought some 2.5mm copper wire, I plan to roll it down to 1.9mm and hope it goes a little oval too, then put the information and advice to the test plus my own theoretical equation to find out how to end up with the final right diameter . by the way what is a bangle die? what does it look like? or did you mean a mandrel?

Quote Originally Posted by bruggen View Post
    I have just bought some 2.5mm copper wire, I plan to roll it down to 1.9mm and hope it goes a little oval too, then put the information and advice to the test plus my own theoretical equation to find out how to end up with the final right diameter . by the way what is a bangle die? what does it look like? or did you mean a mandrel?
    This is a bangle die. You use it to make fancy shaped bangles

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...rcode-999-6876

Please don't anybody go straight ahead without testing it in copper first. Dennis.