Thread: Barrel tumbler - shot gone rusty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Barrel tumbler - shot gone rusty

Hi everyone

I splashed out and got myself a barrel tumbler and it has been worth its weight in gold (excuse the pun). It works a treat but I noticed this morning that some of the shot pieces have gone rusty. I followed the instructions which said that when not being used its OK to leave the shot in the barrel bright as long as they are submerged. Is this not the case? Should I take the shot out, dry them and throw out the liquid every time?

Thanks!

You can get stainless steel shot that stops this. If you put coca cola in it and spin it will clean them up. I always remove and dry. I change the liquid everytime not sure what others do

Yes, you can look after carbon steel shot by spreading it out to dry after use, but it is a big hassle.
    If funds are available, then get the smallest mixed stainless steel shot you can.
    I have tried several, and settled for the one from creative glass tel 01634735416.
    Their website is down at the moment. Dennis

Thank you both. I thought I had stainless steel shot but turns out I haven't...so for now it will be a case of drying it out every time which is a nuisance but its not too much of an issue for me. I will certainly look to get some stainless steel instead so thank you for the tip Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    You can get stainless steel shot that stops this. If you put coca cola in it and spin it will clean them up. I always remove and dry. I change the liquid everytime not sure what others do
    This is really a simple and effective solution.